Latest Endeavour

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRD

New User
Jim
Lately, I've been trying a few of the travel mug kits from Woodcraft as something different for turning.

The mugs take a bit of time to get just right because of the need to match the interior wood void with the exterior of the stainless insert, but they sure are fun too.

This latest is Mediterranean Myrtle with Walnut. Actually the Walnut was something of an after thought because the piece of Myrtle I had was just a wee bit too short. The resulting contrast in the woods just set it all off, IMO.

See what you think.

Jim

Attachments

• P1010004-1.jpg
    P1010004-1.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That is outstanding :eusa_clap:eusa_clap. How thick are the walls, and can you remove the wood so you can wash the metal insert? I tend to leave coffee mugs in my truck until they are about to sprout legs, and then the only way to get them clean is the dish washer on a very hot wash cycle :eusa_doh:

Dave:)

JRD

New User
Jim
Dave,

The wood is actually glued to the stainless insert.

On mugs, I use an epoxy finish to make sure the wood is as waterproof as I can make it. I always mix up enough finish to insure some will be left over for coating the interior wood surfaces and to act as a glue to hold everything together.

These are certainly hand washable, but I'd not put one in the dishwasher.

Jim

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
That looks great Jim! I also like the end result of 2 contrasting woods. Does this mean I have to buy another mandrel? :eusa_doh:J/K

JRD

New User
Jim
No, just a good chuck, and I highly recommend the Termite Tool. It makes end grain turning a snap.

Jim

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That is VERY COOL! I expect it is not dishwasher safe though.

What kind of finish do you have on it? The shine is outstanding.

T

toolferone

I have seen several of these when I was at the store, but that is the nicest one I have seen yet. Well done.

T

toolferone

Jim, I would love to get together and have you help me turn one. Do you have any extra mugs I can buy from you or do I need to order one?

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Great job, I also like the "OOps" rings though I realize they were a "design opportunity" and it worked out great.
I have a concern about these mugs.
I caution anyone buying a pen from me not to leave it in a vehicle due to the heat build up.
My concern is the same in this case.
I like a cup of coffee on the way to work, but when I get to my destination I leave the travel cup in my truck.
I would think the walls on this are rather thin and 130* plus heat would cause a lot of movement in the wood.
Any feedback?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Eagle I would agree with your concerns. But I have been leaving several daily use turned pens in my truck daily over the last few years. My truck is never parked in the shade. I have had no problem with any cracking in my little unscientific experiement. I do agree that there is the possibility that it could happen very easily, but I think that if the wood is dried properly in a kiln, where temperatures run around 130º, that there should be no moisture loss and resulting shrinkage in a car left in the sun.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I thought the wood cracked not because it got too hot in the car but because the brass tube got too hot and expanded causing the wood to crack. I have also always told people who have my pens to keep them out of the sun and don't leave them in cars.

I dunno.....:eusa_doh:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike, I think it could be 6 of one a half dozen the other, either way something moves. I do agree that leaving anything dynamic in a hot car whether its a pen, other woodworking or a pet isn't a good idea.
I am surprised that I haven't had any incidents with the pens in my truck, but if I don't leave them in there then I won't have one when I need it. A pen that you don't have to write with when you need one is worse than a cracked pen.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Dave, at least you have one or more of your pens to write with...I have never carried one of the countless pens I have turned and have never written with one unless it was to demonstrate. I am too cheap and use a cheap ball point....:oops:

Turning with me is a funny thing. As soon as I am through turning an object it has very little in the way of interest to me. I never turn anything for myself save a tool handle or two; I don't have a single turned pen to call my own; I don't use any of the wooden bowls we have in the house ( to be truthful, my wife does); and I don't even collect the boxes I turn (again my wife does). I am only interested in the process and seeing the item finished. Then I can evaluate it, find its mistakes and hopefully do better the next time.

frankson

New User
Jeff
A little off topic but, we encourage our kids to keep their first pen (or second if the first one did'nt come out well) and use it first as a "show pen" thru which they generate orders and second as a pen they can look back on over time to appreciate their progress (sanding, shaping, finishing, etc).

I know everyones job does'nt afford them the opportunity to keep a pen readily available but, at the shop, we all try to keep a pen in a pocket or clipped inside our t-shirts so that we can have them readily available as a talking piece during customer "meet and greet" and for taking orders, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors