Last piece of nursery furniture done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I finished the last piece for my grandson's nursery- I made a chest, changing table and crib last Spring. I built the box and shelves from birch ply and the faceframes from solid maple. Everything was joined with dadoes, lock miters, and glue only. It all went together very well despite cutting the wrong lock miter profile on the face frames and front edges of the box. Using my new little jig really made a difference with the locked miters.

The color came out much more even and the surface finish was much better than the previous pieces. I guess I'm getting better spraying. As best as I can tell, however, from the photos only since I was unable to look at the older pieces again, the color came out much darker! I used the same dark mahogany stains, but different wood (birch ply and maple vs solid cherry), and I was probably a little heavy-handed spraying.

IMG_43691.JPG

IMG_43681.JPG

Previous pieces:

DSC03957.JPG

toolferone

New User
Tom
The pics don't show up well. Do you have a front view picture? It looks a bit like this piece I made. It will hold some cloth boxes from Closet Made

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
The pics don't show up well. Do you have a front view picture? It looks a bit like this piece I made. It will hold some cloth boxes from Closet Made

The finish is so dark, I'd need to mess with lighting to get a better photograph. The O.D. measures 36" X 36" X 15" which determined the interior dimensions (cubicles measure 11" X 11" X 14" on the inside. The faceframe is 1-1/2" wide. I brought the bottom shelf forward and joined it with the lower face frame with a full width lock miter so I wouldn't have a lip. I'm sure my daughter-in-law already has a plan for what she wants to put in it!!!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice work Alan and it compliments the rest of that wonderful set.

Will be cherished I am sure.

Wayne

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Beautiful set of furniture. I'll have to get over there and see it in person before delivery. Gotta make sure that dark finish isn't covering up any bad I-box joints:rotflm:.

Ernie

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Beautiful set of furniture. I'll have to get over there and see it in person before delivery. Gotta make sure that dark finish isn't covering up any bad I-box joints:rotflm:.

Ernie

Not one box joint in the whole thing, but a bunch of lock miters (using a bit set up with my Lock Miter Master). :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS