Laser engravers

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Just wondering if anyone besides Brad uses an engraver? If so what one and why? I am thinking about getting one but I have no experience with them. Any input greatly apprteciated.
Thanks Skymaster

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Following...
Interested but the features I want are in the $50,000 range or so i have been told.

sssfox

New User
Steve
I have a 40 watt Epilog Legend.

It engraves up to about 1/8" deep and cuts up to about 1/8" plywood and 1/4" pine.
I haven't used it for six months or so, due to health issues, but when I did, I made some really nice signs by engraving the background and cutting out letters to glue in the engraved part. I also used it to make balsa R/C airplane parts and ply/pine model boat parts.
Also, it etches glass, granite and ceramic tile, making some really nice pictures and signs.

I have also cut paper, cardboard, leather and cloth.

It is a really versatile machine with almost unlimited possibilities. My wife calls it the "Magic Machine".

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Thanks will look

Be ready for sticker shock. Epilog is good reputation but pricey. They're on my dream list :)

Check out the Laser Engraving forum over on Sawmill Creek website. Much more active laser engraver users there, so you'll get more responses.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
The wife just bought a Glowforge Pro. I haven't done anything with it, but she has cut and engraved many jewelry pieces.
My one project - engrave on a cribbage board hasn't made it to top of her list yet.

For someone who didn't know any CAD, she has been picking it up pretty quickly.
I still get tons of questions about settings - My answer - ask Google!

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I've been using both an Epilog Zing 40 watt and a Glowforge. The Zing for about 8 years and just getting started with the Glowforge.
Both are very good for engraving but the work flow is completely different between the two. Glowforge has some unique features that probably make it more user friendly for nontechnical people. Still exploring capabilities on the Glowforge but I have found that for cutting the Zing will handle heavier materials. Good luck

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
The wife just bought a Glowforge Pro. I haven't done anything with it, but she has cut and engraved many jewelry pieces.
My one project - engrave on a cribbage board hasn't made it to top of her list yet.

For someone who didn't know any CAD, she has been picking it up pretty quickly.
I still get tons of questions about settings - My answer - ask Google!
I realize it is her jewelery pieces, but will she let you post some pictures?

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
I realize it is her jewelery pieces, but will she let you post some pictures?
Here is the cribbage board:
SHADAGEE.jpg

Should have used painters tape to stop the burn marks around the letters.
The holes were cut with my CNC router.

She has a web site: Home - CKS Ventures and she has been pretty regular at "last Friday" in Hillsborough (in Yonder Bar on King Street).

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS