Large walnut tree just fell in Florence...any interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joharn

New User
John
Its approximately 35-40' in length, the first 20 plus feet are straight no branches/limbs. Over 20" in diameter. Will measure tonight for positive specs.
It fell over roots and all in the storm, hate to cut it up for firewood without checking here first. In Fuquay Varina

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hi John. Thank you for posting this. Any chance for some photo's of the bottom 20' or so of the trunk?

Regards,

Scott

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Hey John,
I might like to nab a few small logs (or branches) for some carving if they're available. Thanks.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Thanks for checking with us. Would like to get a few logs to create some turning blanks and some cookies. I can help out with some of the cutting.

joharn

New User
John
Its approximately 35-40' in length, the first 20 plus feet are straight no branches/limbs. Over 20" in diameter. Will measure tonight for positive specs.
It fell over roots and all in the storm, hate to cut it up for firewood without checking here first. In Fuquay Varina

I will get some photos posted today. You can also call my cell at 919-410-5367 if you have additional questions.

joharn

New User
John
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

so as you can see from the pictures this is not a walnut as I had thought. Its hickory, my apologies for the noise and mistake, I thought from the nut that it was a walnut. If some of you are still interested let me know. The length of the main trunk you see is 30 ft.

Attachments

• hickory1.jpg
    hickory1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 303
  • hickory2.jpg
    hickory2.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 306
  • hickory3.jpg
    hickory3.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 294
  • hickory4.jpg
    hickory4.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
You're forgiven! There's nothing wrong with hickory either. It's pretty nice wood despite its hardness.

This is a hickory tray with some of the dark heartwood.

P3280246.jpg

P3280245.jpg

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Downtown Raleigh yesterday they were unloading a truck full of hickory wood for the numerous cookers around. Probably testing the pigs right now.

Roy G

JimD

Jim
Senior User
When we did an addition in 2014, I put in about 600Ft2 of natural hickory flooring (pre-finished). There is quite a bit of color variation and some variation in the hardness too. We like it. But we started looking at maple and that is very different. I think of hickory as kind of rustic and informal. Nice wood for many uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS