LARGE Sycamore Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herebrooks

New User
Bill
A LARGE Sycamore tree is being taken down on Monday. It is approximately 42 inches in diameter and about eighty feet high. Logs maybe cut to size as it is being dropped in one piece and a trackhoe is on site to load onto your trailer. Offers are being accepted. The logs MUST be gone by the end of next week. This is a very healthy tree with no apparent rot and should yield thousands of board feet of very interesting sycamore lumber. Call 828-301-1158.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It's a shame that such a majestic tree in perfectly good health must be removed. I'm curious-why?

It'd sure make some beautiful quartersawn lumber.

Herebrooks

New User
Bill
Hey Jeff: I totally agree! By some estimates, the tree is at least eighty years old...a little like chopping down "Gramps". The reason it's being taken down is so a sign for a church can be erected(sigh!)
Anyway, I drove past a pile of logs for weeks and finally decided to find out about them. I've managed to find homes for the cherry and walnut logs, and I stripped the hickory bark from most of the Hickory logs(for chair seats). The last tree to be cut is this grandad of a Sycamore(42" at the base and 80 feet high) alive and healthy. Yeah, it's a shame! Why don't you come and get a log or two?
Bill
www.williampalmerdesigns.com

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Bill,

I'd like to pick up a few logs, but you're a long way from me here in Rougemont; about 4 hours one way.

Making room for a church sign! OMG, the good Lord would be appalled that we're taking out some of his majestic creations for a d...n human sign to his house of worship. That's tragic IMHO. If folks can't find their way to a church without a sign to direct them then we should all be praying for them and diminished mental capacity! :icon_scra

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I would come get it if my sawmill and other equipment were not in southern IL :tinysmile_cry_t: Quarter swan sycamore is awesome.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Scott Smith????

Bill (herebrooks) and I have been in conversation regarding the logs, and I hope that I can get them.

The biggest challenge is that it's an 600 mile round trip to get them, and the transportation costs have to be factored into the equation.

bwat

New User
Bill
Guess I need to brush up on my NC geography. I mistakenly thought Fairview was eastern Carolina. At today's gas/diesel prices that may be a deal killer.

mtnfyre

New User
Bradley
fairview in a a bedroom community of asheville nc.
about 20 to 30 mins from were i live, just depends on how heavy my foot gets.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
The biggest challenge is that it's an 600 mile round trip to get them, and the transportation costs have to be factored into the equation.

Come on Scott. You can make down Old Fort Mt. with that load.:eek: You know you've always wanted to try out the emergency brake failure ramps. Your life is so boring. :rotflm:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Come on Scott. You can make down Old Fort Mt. with that load.:eek: You know you've always wanted to try out the emergency brake failure ramps. Your life is so boring. :rotflm:

Boring Indeed! :gar-La;

Actually... Herebrooks tells me that the logs are mine if I want them, which I do. Right now we're just working out timing.

M

McRabbet

Herebrooks and Scott -- let me know when you guys do the deed as I'd love to come and watch or help if I can. I don't live too far away in Hendersonville. And Scott has exaggerated -- it's only 250 miles each way!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Rob, right now we are tentatively planning for me to load out this Sunday; not sure what time. John (the logger) has been ill, so we're waiting for him to recover and decide when he wants to fell and load.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Rob, right now we are tentatively planning for me to load out this Sunday; not sure what time. John (the logger) has been ill, so we're waiting for him to recover and decide when he wants to fell and load.

Loggers can do some amzing things (like get well over night), when you talk Ben Franklin.

How much usable timber do you estimate is in that tree Scott?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
The stars finally lined up and yesterday afternoon/evening I was able to make the trip out to Fairview to pick up the sycamore logs. Fast trip too - I received a call around noon that the logs were ready but that the tree service needed to move their equipment elsewhere, so we left the farm by 3pm and pulled into Fairview around 7:30 pm to start loading.

After loading, Bill (NCWW member Herebrooks) and I were able to have supper together and a great visit. What a cool NCWW member! Bill has a long history in woodworking, including a couple of decades of owning his own woodworking and cabinet shop on Key West... (rough life, eh?!). His present focus is on building chairs from green QSWO. We had a really great visit, my three regrets were that the visit was shorter than I wanted it to be as I had to get on the road for the 250 mile trip back to the Farm (pulled in just after 2 am, tired as can be but happy), that I did not get a chance to call Rob and some other local NCWW members to join in the fun, and also that due to the short notice I did not get a chance to mill some fresh QSWO and take Bill some chair parts!

Did not get any pix in Fairview, but here is on taken this morning of Shea sitting next to the back three (of 4) logs. Looks like around 1300 bd ft total.

Thanks Bill for putting this together. I sure enjoyed meeting you and look forward to our next visit!

Scott

IMG_10321.JPG

View image in gallery

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I recognize the setting and doggy from previous visits to your place. Those should make some awesome QS wood. :icon_cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS