Large Planer Service

Louie

New User
Louie
I plan on building a large farmhouse table, is there a place around the triad area that i could take the table to get it planed after its been glued.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Hey Louie. It would help to know where you are, so that we could provide more local advice (assuming you don't want to drive cross-state to do this).

Second, planing full size table tops is not typically done (in my view). Many surface portions, then glue up the larger piece, achieving close to flatness in teh glueup - and using a hand plane, belt sander or other means to flatten. A large planer for a home shop is generally no more than a 20" width - although of course there are exceptions. Commercial shops may of course be able to use and justify larger equipment, but these aren't necessarily in the business of providing services.
Two sources that MIGHT work out for this request, both in the Raleigh area.
- Scott Smith (member here on NCWW) has some large timber handling equipment - and MAY have a extra large planer, but I don't know whether he does. He is in New Hill, south Raleigh/Cary/Apex just off US1.
- I believe hte name of the business is Raleigh Reclaimed - not surprisingly in Raleigh, I think downtown somewhere. I believe they provide WW-ing services and again MAY have a (extra) large planer.

I believe more shops have large capacity belt sanders, although maybe there it may not be enough for a full size table top; some may use sanders to flatten (although the 'bite' per pass is much lower than a planer).

Hope that helps

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville had a very large drum sander the last time I was there (which has been quite a while). I'm not sure of its capacity, but you might want to check with them.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Another option is to find someone with a full size CNC. I have done this on my CNC many times with a 1-3/8" diameter carbide insert cutter. You will have some slight swirl marks to sand out, but it will come out dead flat.

Louie

New User
Louie
Another option is to find someone with a full size CNC. I have done this on my CNC many times with a 1-3/8" diameter carbide insert cutter. You will have some slight swirl marks to sand out, but it will come out dead flat.
Hey Louie. It would help to know where you are, so that we could provide more local advice (assuming you don't want to drive cross-state to do this).

Second, planing full size table tops is not typically done (in my view). Many surface portions, then glue up the larger piece, achieving close to flatness in teh glueup - and using a hand plane, belt sander or other means to flatten. A large planer for a home shop is generally no more than a 20" width - although of course there are exceptions. Commercial shops may of course be able to use and justify larger equipment, but these aren't necessarily in the business of providing services.
Two sources that MIGHT work out for this request, both in the Raleigh area.
- Scott Smith (member here on NCWW) has some large timber handling equipment - and MAY have a extra large planer, but I don't know whether he does. He is in New Hill, south Raleigh/Cary/Apex just off US1.
- I believe hte name of the business is Raleigh Reclaimed - not surprisingly in Raleigh, I think downtown somewhere. I believe they provide WW-ing services and again MAY have a (extra) large planer.

I believe more shops have large capacity belt sanders, although maybe there it may not be enough for a full size table top; some may use sanders to flatten (although the 'bite' per pass is much lower than a planer).

Hope that helps
Sorry I guess I should have said the location, i was looking around Winston-Salem/GSO area, but I think I'll glue it in smaller sections, thats sounds better, I'm kind of new at these large projects so I'm still learning.

Thanks

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Sorry I guess I should have said the location, i was looking around Winston-Salem/GSO area, but I think I'll glue it in smaller sections, thats sounds better, I'm kind of new at these large projects so I'm still learning.

That's a better plan. How big is your "large farmhouse table" (length x width) and which wood will you be using

The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville will S4S surface your wood for an additional charge/board foot. They will plane both faces and rip a straight line on each edge.

GPS Hardwoods in Kernersville also has nice lumber and I think that they'll surface it for you too.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Triad = Winston-Salem + Greensboro + High Point
Triangle = Raleigh + Durham + Chapel Hill
Charlotte = Charlotte

;) I've lived in all three, but just in case for any newcomers to NC.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Raleigh Reclaimed in North Raleigh can surface your top up to 57" wide

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Rent a floor orbital floor sander. You will need to build a "skirt" around the edge of the top, to prevent sander from leaning off top and beveling edges. Skirt needs to be same height as top. Goes without saying, but I will say it anyway, sand top while on floor, not up on legs and apron.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS