Large KD turning blanks? (12x12x4 or larger)

warrierr

New User
R
Hey folks, I know there have been several threads already regarding local sources for turning blanks but I'm looking for a handful of large, kiln-dried turning blanks (12x12x4" or larger) in the triangle region (or available to ship). Preferably domestic woods (maple, cherry, pecan etc.), burls or additional character welcome. I've already tried Reclaimed Lumber, American Woodyard in Raleigh and the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville.

Any local sawmills with kilns that might have the ability to mill several blanks?

Also, does anyone have experience with woodturningblanks4u.com or turningblanks.net?

Thank you!

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I've ordered from both woodturningblanks4u.com and turningblanks.net (aka Got Wood?) have have been happy with both. Got Wood is based in SC, so their shipping gets here super quick. I follow them on facebook since they'll announce any specials or unique stuff that comes in - their Flame Box Elder goes fast when they get it in.

KD blanks that large are going to be tough to come by. You might try contacting Got Wood and asking if they can do something custom.

jpalmer

New User
Jon
+1 on turningblanks.net. Delivery has always been fast. Looks like they have currently have a small selection of 12x4 KD.

warrierr

New User
R
+1 on turningblanks.net. Delivery has always been fast. Looks like they have currently have a small selection of 12x4 KD.
I was able to find some 12x4 KD Sapele on turning blanks.net. I don't usually look for KD blanks that big but If I had more time for this client, I would have turned green. Thanks all!

iclark

Ivan
User
I bought from the Got Wood folks years ago at one of the VA Woodturning Symposiums and have continued to buy from them. I have occasionally received some spalted wood in the green blanks. Before their fire, they routinely kiln dried wood up to 4" thick. The replacement kiln after the fire normally has a 3" thickness limit (unless they have added another kiln since the last time I looked).
If you find yourself near Dulles Airport, I would suggest checking out Dunlap Woodcrafts. Their cutoff bins always puts a dent in my wallet when I visit. Beautiful wood at very reasonable prices. They generally give me a discount when I spend more than a couple hundred $$.

warrierr

New User
R
I bought from the Got Wood folks years ago at one of the VA Woodturning Symposiums and have continued to buy from them. I have occasionally received some spalted wood in the green blanks. Before their fire, they routinely kiln dried wood up to 4" thick. The replacement kiln after the fire normally has a 3" thickness limit (unless they have added another kiln since the last time I looked).
If you find yourself near Dulles Airport, I would suggest checking out Dunlap Woodcrafts. Their cutoff bins always puts a dent in my wallet when I visit. Beautiful wood at very reasonable prices. They generally give me a discount when I spend more than a couple hundred $$.
Thank you! I just ordered and received my first shipment from got wood? And I'm happy with the blanks! Realty fast shipping and Their select blanks have a good amount of figure in them. Thanks for the suggestion!

djvanduy

New User
Jason
I source all my own material for bowls and I turn green. Thats roughing, drying, and returning for bowls. I don't deal with kiln dried stuff. Looks like you've hit all the local sources for thick material.
If your interested in the green turning route I have a resource on how to do that... hope it helps.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
I’ve had some hit-and-miss success buying odd slabs at GPS hardwoods in Kernersville. The chunks are typically too small for the big slab fans or for re-sawing into flat boards, so the price can reflect that. The right slab can, with some careful cutting, yield good blanks at a comparatively reasonable price. Of course, a beefy bandsaw and/or a chainsaw are needed to get from slab to blanks. This dry sycamore slab was about $100 and yielded several 4x4x7.5” and some larger 8x8 hollow form blanks. In the end, I turned several nice (for my skills) twig pots and a few other larger objects. My cost per blank in this instance was under $10. Check with local entrepreneurial sawyers. They may have what you need.

Sycamore Slab 2.jpg

ERF_5467_Twig_Pot_1.jpg

ERF_4736_Hollow_Form_201122.jpg

EricRorabaugh

New User
Eric
Haven't been on for a while. I have several 12x12 cherry bowl blanks but are green and ends sealed with Anchorseal. I can check and see what I have if anyone is still interested. I know I still have some figured cherry in 8x8.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS