landscaping question

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeeter

New User
Charles
I want to plant a row of shrubs along the back of my lot. I want to maintain them at 6 to 8 feet high and bushy from top to bottom. My problem is that where I want to plant them gets fairly wet. Water is slow to soak in after a rain and takes forever to completely dry. We call it muck soil, not sandy, not clay and not a topsoil, just muck. I need plants that can tolerate this type of conditions well. Wife says we need plants that like to get their feet wet. Any ideas??

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wax Myrtle - Myrica cerifera - EG
Anise Shrub - Illicium parviflorum - EG
Sweetbay Magnolia - Magnolia virginiana - EG
Yaupon Holly - Ilex vomitoria - EG
Inkberry Holly - Ilex glabra - EG
Spicebush - Lindera benzoin - Decid
Rose-of-Sharon - Hibiscus syriacus - Decid
Ninebark - Physocaripus opulifolius - Decid
Winterberry - Ilex verticillata - Decid with berrries

To name a few.
HTH,
Dave:)
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/FONT]

Jeff

New User
Jeff
You can also contact your local agricultural extension office in Wilmington. The extension agent or one of the Master Gardeners will point you in the right direction for plants suitable for your soil condition. :icon_scra

http://www.ncruralcenter.org/guidebook/viewresource.asp?ID=85

They often recommend planting a variety selection instead of committing to a single species for a hedgerow. That way potential disease infestations won't wipe out the entire row.

Good luck.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A good idea. Thanks!

I forgot to mention another key point. Whatever assortment that you select please pay attention to the mature height and width of each plant species. Space and plant them accordingly. The row may look a bit spindly to start, but you'll have fewer problems later on.

Many landscapers put things too close together and too close to a foundation wall and they don't allow for the mature size of the plant. Try pruning your 6' x 4' hedges that are about 3' from your home.:evil3:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS