L K Venture ban saw boxes

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I have made a number of her boxes but have run into an issue I do not understand. For the Boa and Cobra boxes she states "you will need to back out of the round drawer cuts". This is on page 34 of her book. For the life of me I can not figure out what she means. I do not see a cut I need to back out of. I am using the last of my old growth pine to make the box. I can afford to make a mistake. Has anyone made one of these boxes and would be willing to explain what I am missing?

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
If the cut comes to a sharp point or a very tight radius, you will need to pull the piece in reverse to remove the blade with no cutting. You have to be very careful with this so you do not break the blade. Once you cut from the other side, the sharp point ot tight radius is released. You can raise the guides, slide the piece off and take it out

I recommend just buying a piece of pine at Lowe's and glueing up to your desired thickness and cut out a box in order to learn the technique. I would do the entire process without sanding

These are more of an exercise in sanding than band saw cutting.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I actually looked for enough scraps to make another blank to experiment with, could not find any so I went with the post. I am returning to woodworking after a long absence (20 years) and do not have much wood around. I kept all my heavy metal so at least I do not have to start over buying equipment, just wood.
You are right about this being a sanding exercise.
I am making the boxes to give away to local groups or individuals raising money for charity.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I keep a couple of 1x6 and 2x6 pine around just to try things. I also keep a 1/4 sheet of 3/4 MDF and some 1/4 plywood at all times. I use these to make a pattern once I have a design that I like. These are inexpensive to experiment with

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I decided to just make the dang thing. Once I started I realized how simple it is.

I apologize for not saying thank you for the reply.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS