Kunz?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

Is there another KUNZ?​

Was there some previous manufacturing before the current company started production?​

Has anyone here seen the Kunz Plus?​

Diversity and continuous development of our product range are our strength.​

Since 1992 the family owned Tresselt GmbH has established itself in the research, - and technology region around Ilmenau, Thuringia.

In 1992 it started the production of KUNZ®, a long established brand of unique and distinctive planes. The line was expanded by introducing KUNZ®plus in 2008.
Tresselt GmbH is a mid-sized, family owned company and produces exclusively in Germany. Cutting-edge technology, motivated, highly qualified employees and investment in research and development ensure that customers receive products of high quality with innovative features.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Sorry...
I just never heard of antique Kunz and have to research the company history.
Looks like they started in 1992.

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
Back in the 80's I bought a scraper plane, small poke shave and a couple of Stanley copies of scrapers. No issues have been found and I still use them. I forgot what catalog I used for purchasing them.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Back in the 80's I bought a scraper plane, small spoke shave and a couple of Stanley copies of scrapers. No issues have been found and I still use them. I forgot what catalog I used for purchasing them.
Kunz Brand? That's what I'm tying to find because the company says they started production in 1992.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I also remember buying a green painted Kunz spoke shave at least in the later 1980s and it was a flea market buy at that.
Maybe they moved their manufacturing to somewhere new in 1992.

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
Yes. Thse were were Kunz (painted green) and purchased new. I read in last 4-5 years they were marketing more expensive bench planes ~$150 or more.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
I remember Kunz tools from back in the '70's and '80's as well. I bought a couple of spoke shaves at a flea market, painted green. In fact, most of what I saw back then were spokeshaves, and maybe some smaller planes. They also made a #80 cabinet scraper I think. Looking at their website, the series of bench planes that are selling are hybrids of the Bailey and Norris planes. There is frog that is adjustable like the Bailey planes, allowing the throat opening to be fine tuned. The blade adjustment mechanism is a Norris design, and looks very similar to the Veritas planes from Lee Valley. I found that they are sold by Highland Woodworking, among other retailers here in the U.S., and they have a video on their site that shows the features and how to use the plane. Although I have never seen one live, if they are made in Germany, I suspect that the manufacturing, fit, and finish are top notch. I would be interested to hear if anyone has any direct experience with them.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Since starting this search, I have seen all that, some planes from the 60s on e-bay, etc.

I still can’t find any company history before 1992.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I have no idea of quality but I can't remember seeing any when I've been out looking for tools. One would think they couldn't have sold very many that being the case.

awldune

Sam
User
I have several Kunz tools; they all seem to be made of decent materials but required LOTS of fettling out of the box. The iron on my spokeshave was so rough it was almost like a toothing plane iron.

Nothing you can't fix with time and elbow grease, but know what you're getting into.

gamiller3rd

Pappy
Senior User
Kunz made a bench plane in the 40’s The 300 Brillant.
DDD5CD2E-F7B4-4119-87B9-34B897F69139.jpeg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors