Kreg walnut plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I need to put in 8 Kreg pocket screws in a walnut kiddie thing I'm building, and I am so cheap I don't want to drive to WoodCraft to buy a box of 50. Does anybody have ten spare walnut Kreg plugs they will mail me for a couple of $$$? Yeah, 10, because I'll find a way to screw two of them up.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I would turn some walnut dowels, glue em in and cut off the excess. I think 1/2" works.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I tell you, that Fred is almost a wizard. If he had said 3/8" instead of 1/2' he would have earned a gold star.

For those of you making your own, in order to match the severe angle on the factory plugs, I used the Kreg jig and a standard 3/8' drill to make a deep pocket hole in a blank. Sticking the spindle in the blank allows you to match the angle nicely against a fence while you cut away on the tiny toy bandsaw.

Also, the factory plugs are not .375 they are .371 or thereabouts, so after using the 3/8" wrench to true the spindle, the 80 grit cutter tool is needed.

And yes, before I started, I knew you could not fit a square peg in a round hole. Not unless the square is small enough, but that turns out ugly.

Thank y'all, as always.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I tell you, that Fred is almost a wizard. If he had said 3/8" instead of 1/2' he would have earned a gold star.

For those of you making your own, in order to match the severe angle on the factory plugs, I used the Kreg jig and a standard 3/8' drill to make a deep pocket hole in a blank. Sticking the spindle in the blank allows you to match the angle nicely against a fence while you cut away on the tiny toy bandsaw.

Also, the factory plugs are not .375 they are .371 or thereabouts, so after using the 3/8" wrench to true the spindle, the 80 grit cutter tool is needed.

And yes, before I started, I knew you could not fit a square peg in a round hole. Not unless the square is small enough, but that turns out ugly.

Thank y'all, as always.

ahh whats a silly little 1/8" amongst friends?:rotflm: I prefer to make my own for that very reason. the factory plugs never seem to be the right color or grain pattern.:icon_thum I usually just try to hide em.....:gar-Bi I checked after posting and you're right 3/8" with a little sanding.:eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors