Kreg drill bits.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Work best when turning in a clockwise direction. This thread was going to start as a rant about how quickly a Kreg bit will dull. I had just finished a table and used quite a few pocket screws. So I started out on todays project and decided that I would throw a few in there as well. I grabbed my corded drill with the Kreg bit chucked from the last use, and couldn't drill the pocket hole at all. I pushed, wiggled, checked if something was blocking it, nothing I did would make that bit go into the wood. So after past experiences with getting a dull bit with my brand new jig, I figured that they must not last very long. I ran out to Lowe's to get a new bit. Got back to the shop, chucked it up and realized that my drill was set in reverse :eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh: So now I have a $15 back-up bit for when the first one goes dull.

Dave:)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Work best when turning in a clockwise direction. This thread was going to start as a rant about how quickly a Kreg bit will dull. I had just finished a table and used quite a few pocket screws. So I started out on todays project and decided that I would throw a few in there as well. I grabbed my corded drill with the Kreg bit chucked from the last use, and couldn't drill the pocket hole at all. I pushed, wiggled, checked if something was blocking it, nothing I did would make that bit go into the wood. So after past experiences with getting a dull bit with my brand new jig, I figured that they must not last very long. I ran out to Lowe's to get a new bit. Got back to the shop, chucked it up and realized that my drill was set in reverse :eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh: So now I have a $15 back-up bit for when the first one goes dull.

:rotflm:UNBEELEEEVABLLLL!!!!!!!!!!:gar-La; her's ur sign......

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
DUHHHHHH! + what Earl said!!:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

:no::nah::no::nah::no::nah:

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Remember what I have said:

Good judgment comes from experience.....
experience comes from poor judgment

Jim in Mayberry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Way to go DanO. My faith in you is slipping. :gar-La;

Hey ,you can always have faith that I will post all Brain-Farts that happen in my shop for y'alls enjoyment
:eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh:

cptully

New User
Chris
Been there, done that!

D'oh :BangHead:

My personal best was buying my PC695 router kit, finding that it came with the 1/4" collet installed in the motor and not noticing the 1/2" collet zip tied to the power cord until I ordered and received a 1/2" collet from the web...

Chris

Shayne

New User
Shayne
Been there with my biscuit joiner. First time I used it, I wanted to use the really small FF biscuits so I changed out the blade and evidently put it in upside down. It actually cut, but caused a lot of smoke. I figured it out eventually :embaresse

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Next time you think the bit is dull, brush off any sawdust with a soft brush, then let it soak in PEACH PAINT for an hour. Wash it off, and you're good to go. :)

Also works on bandsaw blades that dull overnight, table saw blades that suddenly burn wood and overflowing dust collector containers.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Next time you think the bit is dull, brush off any sawdust with a soft brush, then let it soak in PEACH PAINT for an hour. Wash it off, and you're good to go. :)

Also works on bandsaw blades that dull overnight, table saw blades that suddenly burn wood and overflowing dust collector containers.

Shucks man, I spilled all my Peach Paint :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Dave I started to laugh, but in that split second between inhale and exhale the memory kicked in......
Burned up a brand new metal bit on a 1980 chevy once.
That smoke caused instant mental paralysis and led to the moment of action without consequence contemplation as I unchucked that smoking hot branding iron disguised as a drill bit.
Why is it sometimes so hard to drop something that's hot???

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Just to add my bit to this. My CS would not cut right. Everything seemed to burn and was very hard to cut. Changed blades, same thing. Decided the saw was bad. Bought a new one. Same problem.

I'd always used a right sided saw. I had recently changed to a left sided saw. Just mounted the blade the way I had always done it before. Printing facing toward me:swoon::swoon::elvis::elvis::eusa_naug:eusa_naug:slap:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Hey ,you can always have faith that I will post all Brain-Farts that happen in my shop for y'alls enjoyment
:eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh:

Farts are not allowed in my household. It is poots. :wink_smil

As for the drill bits, they last a LOONNNGGG Time. My last one held up for 8 years. The tip finally broke off just a month or so ago. One word of advice though, only buy the Kreg bits. I bought some no name ones many years ago from Woodworker's Supply and they lasted all of 2 hours before they broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS