Koa sealing suggestions

jsloane

New User
jim
I am finishing a Koa live edge book match coffee table, and need some help finding a sealer that will allow me to get to a deep clear finish. First time with Koa and it appears to have a lot of pores that need to be filled. I have seen egg whites used in TikTok video, but would like to find a commercial sealer. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I have sanded to 220 and wondering about the next steps to get to a clear fine finish.
THX!
Jim
KOA:MAple.jpeg

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
I do a lot of work with Koa and generally don’t worry about a sealer and move straight to the primary finish. I’ve used shellac, water based poly, spar varnish, and Rubio monocoat directly to the wood, all with great results. I love koa and you have an absolutely beautiful table top.

Koa with ebony accents is a great look as well on boxes, turned items, etc. One of my favorite combinations of wood.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Beautiful wood on that table and great work. I've never worked with Koa so sorry I can't suggest a finish. But a quick question. What's the understructure made with?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
We use most often a water based sealer if we want to minimize the grain texture and then Lacquer 4 to 6 coats, then wet sand and buff

jsloane

New User
jim
After hip surgery in August, I finished the Koa table with 1/2 lb shellac using some YouTube videos for guidance.
Pure ethyl alcohol was hard to get in CA, but I was able to order it from a, get this, nail polish remover supplier.
I used the French technique to apply the shellac, sanding with 400 grit in between six coats.
Here is my shellac setup and supplies, and the finished table. I got the deep translucent finish I wanted from this process.

Attachments

• IMG_7143.jpeg
    IMG_7143.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7149.jpeg
    IMG_7149.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 87

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS