Knowing when to Toss

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Anyone else have this problem of knowing when to toss or trash something. I always struggle when to change my air cleaner filter and when to change blades on jointer, planer, turning tools, and all different saws. Then once I finally decide to change them, I some how feel the need to keep the old ones around. Thinking I maybe changed them too early, they are still good etc. Whats wrong with me. Why is it so hard to convince myself to change things like that. I wish I new better when to change certain things

Oh, and sand paper products. I don’t think I will ever have to buy sand paper again. A broken 1” sanding belt gets used by hand on the lathe. How small a piece of sand paper is too small to keep. I go thru sand paper soooooo slow. I get done hand sanding a project and then I put it in a drawer and say I can use that small piece that’s still good on the lathe.

Is anyone else this crazy like me.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Ha, I do the same thing. I figure the more I can be organized, the more conservation of energy ($$$) there is. Then about once a year, around this time when I have a little down time, I go through the shop, organize, and throw out a small portion I know will never turn into anything. I use those clear plastic boxes to store unfinished projects and media like sandpaper so I can visually see everything which makes it easier/worse. And I just got a label maker.

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
All the time, you are your dad, as we all are. I keep things longer than I should

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The hardest one for me is the disk on my 6" ROS. I keep using it long after it is still doing the job. I'm just cheap. And I hate waste.

rcarmac

Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
The hardest one for me is the disk on my 6" ROS. I keep using it long after it is still doing the job. I'm just cheap. And I hate waste.

So when do you get to the point of replacing the disk

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member
We're getting ready to move and downsize the shop, so I guess I am about to find out. For us, I think the most difficult decision will be scrap wood.

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
Anyone else have this problem of knowing when to toss or trash something ... Is anyone else this crazy like me.

Guilty! Just this morning I bent a cheap pin punch. Rather than throw it away I wasted 10 minutes grinding it down to use as a repousse tool that I'll probably never use...
Mike

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
We're getting ready to move and downsize the shop, so I guess I am about to find out. For us, I think the most difficult decision will be scrap wood.
One man's scrap is another man's......I dunno probably be scrap too, in a few years, lol

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Charles seeing how I have moved about 25-26 times in my life, I came up with this method. I keep 2 junk boxes all things that I want to hoard cannot exceed these 2 boxes. Then, I use this mantra - Did I used last week, last month, last year, if not toss or sell. I never adhere 100% perfect, but at least I start with a goal and/or plan .... ;)

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Charles seeing how I have moved about 25-26 times in my life, I came up with this method. I keep 2 junk boxes all things that I want to hoard cannot exceed these 2 boxes. Then, I use this mantra - Did I used last week, last month, last year, if not toss or sell. I never adhere 100% perfect, but at least I start with a goal and/or plan .... ;)
Me too - unfortunately the first " box" is my home office and the second is my garage! :p :cool: :p

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
So when do you get to the point of replacing the disk

When it is no longer doing the job w/ the same amount of effort. When I'm sanding I use a pencil to make marks across the wood to see where I have sanded. If those lines aren't coming off w/ the same amount of effort as they were w/ a fresh disk, then it eventually dawns on me that my paper is worn out. Then I try to squeeze a few more passes out of that disk before accepting the inevitable. :oops:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
One of the members here I don't recall which one but I took an entire pick-up truck full of scrap. I mean it was a heaping load, so much so I had to tarp it. I was suppose to met him at some place off of I-40. I got there and I recall after about 15 minutes past meeting time, I eyed a dumpster not far away. Just then the member pulled up and was thrilled to death to get my scrap :rolleyes:

rcarmac

Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
This is good therapy. I just decided to toss some treated wood from a fence I tore down over 5 years ago. Felt good, lol. But I am going to be pissed if I need to fix my fence lol.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS