Knocked one off the "honey-do" list...

ste6168

New User
Mike
Pantry in our kitchen was just 3 deep shelves, stuff seemed to "get lost" in the back, wanted some pull-outs instead. Used maple for the boxes, milled to 5/8" thick. 1/2" pre-finished ply used for the bottoms. Full-extension side-mount slides. Installed vertical rails (just 3/4" ply) inside the cabinet to bump out the drawer slides to account for the face frame. Had to shim the top of the back left rail to account to the box being 1/8 out of square. Decided to build the boxes using a slightly unconventional drawer setup, as I didn't want the dado for the bottom to show on the front/sides and wanted the front to be a solid piece. Overall, I am happy with the outcome, and she is VERY happy! Hopefully will prevent us from having 2/3 of the same stuff open/expired lingering in the back, lol.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a511.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a512.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a4f2.jpg

Last edited:

RickR

Rick
Senior User
Nice job. You will not regret having done all that work. I will never have a kitchen without pullouts again.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Our pantry has the same issue as yours, so I showed your handiwork to my wife...I now have another project added to my "honey-do" list! Looks like a great solution to the problem.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I did the same thing to all of the lower cabinets in our kitchen about 15 years ago -- I used 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood with finger joint corners and 1/4" BB in a groove for the bottoms. I shellacked them with a couple of coats and mounted them on full extension drawer glides like you did. Still working well!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
That came out great, lots of usable space with the pullout drawers. I like how you dado'd in the back piece. Time to go shopping and fill 'em up!

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
You are going to be smiling every time you pull one of those out. I added the pull outs in our bottom cabinets back in 2008 and it has been a pleasure using them. The older you get the more you will appreciate them. They look great.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I might just need to do that myself. I'm ok with the eye level shelves, but the bottom two are a pain.

The second one a barely use and the bottom one is only the very front.

And for the record I used a can of cream of celery soup last night. Use by date was sometime in 2015.

ste6168

New User
Mike
Nice job. You will not regret having done all that work. I will never have a kitchen without pullouts again.
You are going to be smiling every time you pull one of those out. I added the pull outs in our bottom cabinets back in 2008 and it has been a pleasure using them. The older you get the more you will appreciate them. They look great.
Yeah, my only regret at this point, is that I didn't just build pull-outs for most all of the lowers while I was at it. In hindsight, I think having one or two under the sink, as well as next to the stove (where we keep the pots and pans) would have been an incredible upgrade, as well. Oh well, I guess I have a second round to make someday.

Our pantry has the same issue as yours, so I showed your handiwork to my wife...I now have another project added to my "honey-do" list! Looks like a great solution to the problem.
Sorry about that, lol! Good luck, let me know if you have any questions or need help. Certianly wasn't my idea, I originally saw them being done by a guy down in Florida named Rusty, with a fitting business name of "The Drawer Dude." Post pictures when you get around to it!

I might just need to do that myself. I'm ok with the eye level shelves, but the bottom two are a pain.

The second one a barely use and the bottom one is only the very front.

And for the record I used a can of cream of celery soup last night. Use by date was sometime in 2015.
The oldest I found was a package of great value Jello from 2014 (what is worse, we have had TWO moves since then, so this box made the cut to be packed TWICE). I decided it was time to hit the trash. LOL
4C36FC03-8E87-408D-99E2-9EA254866409.jpeg

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
We have pullouts in all our lower kitchen cabinets and wouldn't be without them. I've started incorporating them in things I make in the workshop as well.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS