Knife Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

aamak

New User
Andy
I made a simple magnetic knife block for the kitchen a while back like the Mag-Blocks sold by Benchcrafted. We don't have a lot of counter space or drawer space, so it seemed like a good solution. But, those are much better (safer), if they're mounted on a back wall where you don't have to reach across them. As you can see from the photo, the spot where I installed it was pretty risky for my wife knocking a knife off the block. And, she actually did it once, but was clear-headed enough to pull her hands back so she wasn't cut. Anyway, I designed and built version II, which is a much better design. You cannot knock the knives off, and we were able to mount the whole set on the block because it uses the space better. I used rare earth magnets from K&J Magnetics. Most are 1/2" OD x 1/4" thick cylinders, mounted 1/16 or less below the surface. For the largest chef's knife, I added some more magnets because it wasn't quite strong enough to hold it with just the one. The wood is ash.

Attachments

• Knife Block Video.wmv
    6.7 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1918.JPG
    IMG_1918.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 166

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I made a simple magnetic knife block for the kitchen a while back like the Mag-Blocks sold by Benchcrafted. We don't have a lot of counter space or drawer space, so it seemed like a good solution. But, those are much better (safer), if they're mounted on a back wall where you don't have to reach across them. As you can see from the photo, the spot where I installed it was pretty risky for my wife knocking a knife off the block. And, she actually did it once, but was clear-headed enough to pull her hands back so she wasn't cut. Anyway, I designed and built version II, which is a much better design. You cannot knock the knives off, and we were able to mount the whole set on the block because it uses the space better. I used rare earth magnets from K&J Magnetics. Most are 1/2" OD x 1/4" thick cylinders, mounted 1/16 or less below the surface. For the largest chef's knife, I added some more magnets because it wasn't quite strong enough to hold it with just the one. The wood is ash.

Cool idea - my wife would never go for that

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
Very nice. I like how you've taken the idea of slots for safety then turned them upside-down and used the magnets to hold the knives in place. I may have to steal that idea. :D

-NCGrimbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS