Knew Concepts fret saw blades (not coping saw)?

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Hey, I've not really been able to find much researching what blades folks like best and why for the Knew Concepts fret saws (3", 5" or 8" Mk II or IV not their coping saw). Most of what I see says go with the Pegas brand and skip tooth but nothing really discussing which TPI 15 (which it comes with), 18 etc...

What say you from your experience ?

Thanks in advance !
Jeremy F.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
It's going to depend on what you're sawing, and how thick. The higher tooth count will give you very smooth sawing action but lack aggressiveness. The fewer the tooth count, the more aggressive the blade will be. I don't know snot about fret saws really, but I know scroll saw blades. So with that tiny bit of information, maybe it will help you to decide. On thin stock, like veneer, you want a high tooth count to get as many teeth in the cut at once, or the blade will grab the stock, rather than saw it.

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Sorry should’ve mentioned. Looking for blades for normal clearing of waste from dovetails, bridle joints etc.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
In that case, you'll benefit most from as course a blade as you can get. I don't know if fret blades are numbered like scroll saw blades, but a #7 in scroll saw blade size would do the trick.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
5" fret blades are the same thing as regular scroll saw blades. For dovetail cleanup I think a #7 or #9 would work. The higher the number the bigger the teeth and the lower the TIP.

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Many thanks for your feedback ! It also follows along well with a video and demo I found from David Barron last night and he did call out the #7 blades for the Knew Concepts fret saw.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The #7 blades are $5/dozen at New Concepts webstore. They have 15 tpi.

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 9.07.20 AM.png

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep I reviewed these but wanted input from those w/ experience. In the end I ordered these a few minutes ago off Amazon for $10-11 for 2 dozen along w/ the Knew Concepts 5" Mk IV

Thanks for all the help !
[/QUOTE

Going forward t this is my source for Pegas blades. Pegar Scroll Saw

If you decide to call in your order Denny is a great guys and very knowledgeable.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS