Klingspor's Woodworking Shop Closed Sunday Feb 28th 2021 - All Locations

woodworkingshop.com

Coleman
User
Hello Gang,

It has been awhile since last post but I wanted to make all of you aware that we will be closed Feb. 28th (Sunday) for an upgrade of systems. As some of you may know we have been working tirelessly on upgrading/changing our ERP/Retail/Web software and the changeover day is March 1st! Please wish us luck as I have said many times I would retire before having to do this - wish I would have followed my own advice! :oops:

I am sure some of you are curious. We are moving from an AS400 based system in Hickory NC to the CLOUD. Yes, we are moving into the current century however I will tell you there are things that the old AS400 did WAY better than this new system but over time as we learn the little secrets, this new software will make our company better and the customer experience will be much better as well.

A couple of important things for our customers to know: 1. ON our new site - your email address is your log in. 2. You will need to create new passwords as the new system will not keep your old ones. 3. We are not losing any data from the last 30 years, however it may take a minute to find it if you have something that we need to go back over 3 years as it will be on our old database.

Lots of other changes but please be patient with us when visiting - we have been working hard but I am sure there will be things that we haven't even thought of. Thank you all for your continued support and I am asking for your thoughts and prayers as we make this big jump for our company.

Coleman and Klingspor's Woodworking Shop Team

djyoungcity

djyoungcity
Corporate Member
Upgrading enterprise systems is never a fun task, but it always works out in the end to stay up to date. Hoping for a smooth transition.

Ralrick

Rick
Corporate Member
Good luck . . . the AS/400 were great systems. I sold them for a number of years with IBM.

Hmerkle

Hank
Corporate Member
That is FANTASTIC!
I know it is going to be a painful transition (and probably monetarily it already has been) but after the learning curve and growing pains - I am guessing you will be able to do more than you could on the old AS400!

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looking forward to seeing the changes, good luck with the conversion

Dee2

Board of Directors, Secretary
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Coleman, wishing you and the entire Klingspor staff, no sleepless nights, no pizza midnight runs at the office, and everyone can still take time off after 3/1.

Kerrbuggs1

Kenny
Corporate Member
Good luck!! I also worked with the AS/400 from 1998 to around 2007. They were a beast, but they could definitely handle a ton of transactions. Can't say I miss working with them, though. Hope all goes well with the switchover.

junquecol

Bruce
User
Just think, by the time you get all the "bugs" worked out, there will be a newer system waiting the wings to replace this system. Good luck on the transition

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
In theory, moving to a cloud can provide more robustness and you should only have to worry about application maintenance, not the platform. Sad, but the days of mainframes are long gone. As the technology in databases has changed, host architecture needed to change. Sure, we still need ACID relational DBs for transactions, but hard to beat the newer architectures for catalog's, customer preferences, and all the dozens of little things business can now do. Big Table, Mongo, Cassandra, etc. Still a big fan of Sybase IQ.

From the store viewpoint, if you need training and learning, you have a bad UI. If you know the business function, the UI should be intuitive. Yea, yea, really good UI programmers are very rare. I had some and the difference is magic. I also had top level SYBASE and Oracle engineers for the back end. Even one of the authors of Accumulo worked for me.

I'll check out your new on-line.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
ARRRG.

When I look to browse products, click on power tools. First page has a vac bag and a tool rest with a caster. Not what I expect when I look for power tools.
Refine by list is not at all organized. I clicked on type and band saw. Just got a few accessories. I know they sell band saws! Same with lathe and drill press.

Sorry, but you have some work cut out for you. Hang in there.

zapdafish

Steve
Senior User
i didnt get the same results, i see almost all power tools with an accessory or two like an arbortech kit.

ARRRG.

When I look to browse products, click on power tools. First page has a vac bag and a tool rest with a caster. Not what I expect when I look for power tools.
Refine by list is not at all organized. I clicked on type and band saw. Just got a few accessories. I know they sell band saws! Same with lathe and drill press.

Sorry, but you have some work cut out for you. Hang in there.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS