Klingspors Virtual Extravaganza 2020

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I was glad to be there too! I actually had to make an emergency run to Klingspor, Cary yesterday and take advantage of some of the great deals. Seems I forgot to take my brain with me to the shop yesterday. I was out there less then 10 minutes and went to cross-cut a piece of wood using my Osborne Miter Gauge on my Sawstop. The miter gauge had been set at an angle for the last cuts made with it and so I set it back to 90 deg. Set my blade height and my wood to my mark, turned on the Sawstop and pushed the wood through the blade and BANG!....... toasted the brake on the Sawstop. Now I even have my Osborne Miter Gauge clearly marked to check clearance to the blade before use and I forgot! DOH.... So off to K'por for a new brake and blade! While I was there I picked up a few other goodies. But, maybe.....JUST maybe I'll remember next time! This is the second time I've triggered the brake with the Osborne. One day I'll learn....

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Great series Phil. Aren't you worried about the varnish cracking with flex? Why not epoxy? Are there any rubberized type of finishes that stand up to UV? Not afraid to ask stupid questions.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Congratulations to all in the creation and completion of this beautiful craft, it's totally awesome!

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
I enjoyed learning from Phil about the steps in building the boat. It was the first time I have done any wood bending. Made me feel like I could actually make a boat also. Probably not as quickly as Phil or as great looking but it might float.....

Here are some pictures I took. Dirk(GolfDad) and I were bending white oak to make the ribs of the boat.

Big thanks to Klingspor's and Coleman for the hospitality!!
IMG_20201024_112754669.jpg

IMG_20201024_101740736_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201024_110814506_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201024_110819539_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201024_120053162_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201024_120114140_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Allrightnow

New User
Blair
I was glad to be there too! I actually had to make an emergency run to Klingspor, Cary yesterday and take advantage of some of the great deals. Seems I forgot to take my brain with me to the shop yesterday. I was out there less then 10 minutes and went to cross-cut a piece of wood using my Osborne Miter Gauge on my Sawstop. The miter gauge had been set at an angle for the last cuts made with it and so I set it back to 90 deg. Set my blade height and my wood to my mark, turned on the Sawstop and pushed the wood through the blade and BANG!....... toasted the brake on the Sawstop. Now I even have my Osborne Miter Gauge clearly marked to check clearance to the blade before use and I forgot! DOH.... So off to K'por for a new brake and blade! While I was there I picked up a few other goodies. But, maybe.....JUST maybe I'll remember next time! This is the second time I've triggered the brake with the Osborne. One day I'll learn....
I did that with my Incra miter gauge. Got just a leeetle too closed and BAM! But I learned how to get the brake off the blade. I had lost one carbide tooth. Just for fun I took the blade to a local place recommended by Freud. They checked the blade to make sure that it was flat. Which it was and put another tooth on the blade. Blade has worked fine. I figured I was lucky.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Phil, are you aware that you can get Zip Ties that have a release and are reusable? I do realize they probably cost like $1.00 per 1,000 when you buy them by large quantities...but still :)

Danny Batchelor

Danny
User
Good opportunity for boat building and it’s always good working with Phil. (And as usual, lunch was excellent.) I would like to see a close up of the stems.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS