Klingspor Extravaganza- October 21-22, 2022

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Please see the updated sign-up record in MOP (My original post)
We have LOTS of room for people to help.
Some of you have said "I will be there all day, and I purposely left you some space so you can take a lunch, walk the show help out in an alternative way, etc.
There are MANY open spots to help out on the lathe and we want someone as a safety person. (perhaps the greeter can do double duty, but it would be nice to have more of our membership helping)
What we need are some people to commit to doing some demos.

following are some ideas and suggestions, but you may have your own and we welcome your creativity!
Segmented turning
Through Dovetails
Bee habitat (a kid-friendly project)
Saw sharpening - Richard @Graywolf
Sunrise Dovetails - Phil Soper
Bandsaw Boxes
Line and Berry inlay
Hand tool woodwork
Fan inlay
Bandsaw Set-up
Finishing

If you haven't done this before, ask someone who has - the event is a LOT of fun and helping a budding woodworker or watching a kid's eyes light-up when he or she does something on the lathe or another project is worth its weight in GOLD!

UPDATE: We have secured a block of rooms at the Hampton Inn Hickory for Thursday and Friday night at $139, their "Rack rate" that weekend is $151 for Thursday and $209 for Friday!
I will update this thread as soon as we have the link so you can book rooms on-line.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can be there on Saturday. (I do want to see Mike.) I can greet or demo, just not a lot of walking.
AWESOME!
I am looking forward to seeing you doing some scrolling again!
I will put you down for Greeter for a period and for a scroll demo.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Please see the updated original post.
Thank you to everyone who have already volunteered, we want and need more help.

For the other 11,987 NCWW'ers there is NOT enough room for everyone...
You better hurry and secure your spot!

If you love woodworking, you will love the show, come visit regardless of whether you help in our booth.

If you love meeting fellow woodworkers - the NCWW booth is a GREAT spot to do that, come volunteer!

If you enjoy NCWW this is a once in a lifetime a year(er, maybe two years) chance to help us reach out to like-minded people in a setting where they are already predisposed to talking about woodworking and looking for help. That is where NCWW comes in - we enjoy helping people become better woodworkers.

VOLUNTEER! it is good for your mind body and spirit - Harvard even says so: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/volunteering-may-be-good-for-body-and-mind-201306266428

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
EXCITING NEWS!!!!

We have secured a block of rooms at the Hampton Inn in Hickory (walking distance to the Hickory Metro Convention Center) for Thursday and Friday night October 20th and 21st.
It IS first come first serve and YOUR responsibility to click on the link below or call the hotel directly and mention that you are with the North Carolina Woodworkers group. This gets you a rate of $139 (a considerable rate reduction for Thursday and Friday night)

Here is our link:
https://www.hilton.com/en/attend-my-event/hkynchx-ncw-fb2ae7c0-fa79-49cf-a650-78f079881a67/

Here is the phone number of the hotel: (828) 327-2000

Here is the address: 1956 13th Ave Dr SE, Hickory, NC 28602

Last edited:

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Hank, I know this is petty, but it really means a lot to me when people DO spell me name the right way! If you just look over to the left you can see my last name is spelled with ONE "T", like this: MATHEWS. Everyone assumes my last name is spelled with two "T"s but it's not. My ancestors were poor and couldn't afford two of them so they were only able to get one! It would mean a lot to me if the schedule table reflected the proper spelling...PLEASE! thank you.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank, I know this is petty, but it really means a lot to me when people DO spell me name the right way! If you just look over to the left you can see my last name is spelled with ONE "T", like this: MATHEWS. Everyone assumes my last name is spelled with two "T"s but it's not. My ancestors were poor and couldn't afford two of them so they were only able to get one! It would mean a lot to me if the schedule table reflected the proper spelling...PLEASE! thank you.
So Sorry Michael, I will get it corrected!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
See update on my OP (original post)
We are filling some spots, but still looking for help with the extravaganza.

You can see some of the holes we have and we would like to see some new members volunteer - I cannot tell you how rewarding it is to help and then see someone young or old get the woodworking bug!

Here is a list of some of the demos we have come up with and who plans to perform the demo.
If you have other or maybe better ideas, please let us know - we look forward to seeing you in October!
Sunrise DovetailsPhil Soper
Impossible Dovetail
Blade SharpeningMike Davis
Saw SharpeningGraywolfRichard
Hand tools
Bandsaw boxes
Line and berry inlay
Fan inlay
Finishing
French polishing
Multi-axis turningsDee2Gene
Marquetry
Spoon carving

Last edited by a moderator:

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rather than duck calls which require buying reed kits and retaining rings, I'm moving towards multi-axis turnings like these:
Unknown-24.jpeg

People seem to love them. White(?) oak on the left. Cherry (green) on the right. See the split?

I do need some white oak, maple, or green hickory/pecan (or other close grained species) branch cuttings, >2" in diameter (after the bark is removed) so that I can cut a 2" tenon on one end for mounting in a chuck. And, about 11"-12" long.

Let me know please if you can provide these and if you might bring them to the Extravaganza. My wooded lot lacks these species.

It can take maybe 15 minutes to turn one of these. Yes, I'm slow. If the demos are 90 mins. I'll need about 12-15 pieces. Any help is appreciated.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
We are still in need of some people to demo - see the list of ideas above in post #37
I have three slots on Friday and Three slots on Saturday...

Please STEP-UP and REPRESENT North Carolina Woodworkers at the Klingspor Extravaganza!!!

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
Rather than duck calls which require buying reed kits and retaining rings, I'm moving towards multi-axis turnings like these:
View attachment 212906

People seem to love them. White(?) oak on the left. Cherry (green) on the right. See the split?

I do need some white oak, maple, or green hickory/pecan (or other close grained species) branch cuttings, >2" in diameter (after the bark is removed) so that I can cut a 2" tenon on one end for mounting in a chuck. And, about 11"-12" long.

Let me know please if you can provide these and if you might bring them to the Extravaganza. My wooded lot lacks these species.

It can take maybe 15 minutes to turn one of these. Yes, I'm slow. If the demos are 90 mins. I'll need about 12-15 pieces. Any help is appreciated.
I have some hickory in my yard I took some branches off, I'll check when I get home for the diameter and length for you.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS