Klingspor Demo Schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
At this point, we are getting people to volunteer to do demos and such. But we need a schedule or we will have everyone want to do do demos at 10 on saturday and nothing at another time. Please PM me with:

What you are going to demo or teach
Length of time needed.
What tools you will need from our supply in the trailer.
What other tools you might need and whether you can bring them.
What expendables you will need, wood, screws, glue, sand paper and type and grit(s)
What windows, time blocks and/or days you are available.

The reason I am asking fpr PMs id that I susect we might have to make a few hard decisions on the scheduling and I wouldn't want to inadvertently embarrass anyone.

THanks, provide this info ASAP please. Lots of planning we need to do

Steve

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Steve,

My plan is to do a start to finish canoe build demo that should take the better part of two hours

Detailed agenda is:
Explain the basic principles of lofting and layout of frame and station molds
Demo layout of individual station and install on frame - other stations would already be installed
Demo how to cut strips to obtain all quartersawn strips - cut only a few, others would be already cut and milled
Demo routing cove and bead - mill only a few, others would already be done
Demo application of first sheer strip and a dozen or so next strips - explain the various methods - nails/staples vs clamps
All the above would be done on the bow of the mold starting with only a partial mold and ending with a dozen or so strips glued up

The next portion of the demo would be done on the stern where the strips have already been installed and are ready for sanding and covering. This portion of the canoe would have been covered with a tarp as we worked on the bow
Demo pulling the staples and sanding the strips. explain the use of an interface pad on a ROS and a longboard for hand sanding
Explain the various fiberglass cloth weaves and weights and the various resins
Explain the chemistry and the impact of temp/humidity
Demo cloth laydown and fiber wetting with resin - normally one would use epoxy resin for this step, but I might use polyester with which I can speed up the curing and actually pop the canoe off the mold at the end of the demo.

My schedule is such that I want/need to do this from 10 to 12 on Friday

I will need:
1. our worktable setup with a 8 foot long frame/mold - the frame and mold will come up in the trailer
2. table saw setup to cut 1/4 thick strips
3. router table 1 setup with Triton and cove bit
4. router table 2 setup with Milwaukee and bead bit - this will be my old freud table
5. I will bring glue, stapler, nailer, sanders, and all fiberglassing supplies
6. Power to run all the above
7. Not knowing how much attention this will gather and if we will have a crowd at all, if we draw a crowd or if the place is noisy, I will need a decent sound system with a lapel mic so I can explain and be heard

It is not critical but a full-time helper would be very good

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I will be cutting and assembling a fretwork table clock, as well as having a completed one. I'll bring my saw and all my own tools and supplies. I will need a table for the clock parts and finished clock, along with my tools. Need another table or items I'll bring for display.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
OK, no more wishy-washy Charlie Brown - I knew I was going to be there just hadn't finalized when or for how long.

But...

I need to build volunteer hours to enable a company grant to the group, so I've decided that I'll be there from whenever the start time is on Thursday until we finish the tear-down on Saturday. I had already scheduled vacation the week of the event and the wife has to work. I can assist others (Phil) or do a sharpening demo whenever Mike is not on board to do so. I can also just talk to people whenever needed and assist with setup and teardown.

I have a question for the locals or whoever has done this in the past. Where is a good place to stay Thursday and Friday night? I'd like to get reservations made in advance.

- Ken.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
There are several motels near the Convention Center. One is even right next door if you don't like driving. Google the address for names. Can't remember where I stayed last year, but rates were reasonable & it was next door to the Cracker Barrel for breakfast...

woodworkingshop.com

Coleman
User
OK, no more wishy-washy Charlie Brown - I knew I was going to be there just hadn't finalized when or for how long.

But...

I need to build volunteer hours to enable a company grant to the group, so I've decided that I'll be there from whenever the start time is on Thursday until we finish the tear-down on Saturday. I had already scheduled vacation the week of the event and the wife has to work. I can assist others (Phil) or do a sharpening demo whenever Mike is not on board to do so. I can also just talk to people whenever needed and assist with setup and teardown.

I have a question for the locals or whoever has done this in the past. Where is a good place to stay Thursday and Friday night? I'd like to get reservations made in advance.

- Ken.

http://klingsporextra.blogspot.com/2012/09/hotel-info.html. Here is link to hotels, hope it helps.

MikeCSmith

New User
Mike
I will be at the show on Friday morning. I don't think I can get there much before 8:30. I am going to talk to people while hand cutting a little "T" puzzle. Like I said before, the demonstration is a big deal, but it allow me time to talk to people about NCWW. When I'm done with the puzzle, I give it to somebody in the audience. I'll be using a pull saw; I need to do this on a workbench. I'll bring the wood for the puzzles and a couple of clamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS