Kitchen reface experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Thanks everybody. All good thoughts and suggestions. Even though there are opposing opinions, each has its merits. We actually have an offer pending. After moving between 8 houses over the years, I conclude that people lose all common sense when they look at houses. We can’t control what the buyer’s realtor tells them. For better or worse, current buyers think that the kitchen looks dated (for all of the reasons pointed out in the thread). The current prospect’s husband is cool with things, whereas the wife is not sure about what could be done about the kitchen. Hopefully they’ll find peace with a buy decision- they are back at the house now.
We’ll see. If things slow again we may refinish and will do it well. No half@#$ here! As pointed out, that may turn out to be a bad decision.
It is true that you only need one buyer and also true that most will change things anyway. Conversely, we want people to get past the thought that there is a Kitchen Emergency :rolleyes: Again, to me that’s crazy but everybody that looks at the house is bummed that the kitchen “needs” to be updated (Don’t throw food at me!).
If this couple puts in an offer and we come to an agreement then we’re done!
thanks all

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I think there is a point of diminshing return on granite but I would replace with a darker color if you go with white.

Then again, white is not the only color you can paint a kitchen, just saying........

I saw an antique darker colored blue kitchen with light countertops that was pretty nice.

Pinterest is a really good source to get some visuals on this.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Just an opinion but...
They have probably been watching the renovation television shows and will spend a lot of money to take out all of the walls. Tear out all of the quality materials, replace the real hardwood stored floors with some nice plastic coated mdf hat looks like wood and of course add some ship lap (plastic that looks like boards) to the walls because we do not like the looks of drywall. Then fill the house with some trendy furniture made of MDF so everything looks like the ones on TV or the magazines.

Hopefully the trend will switch and the next generation will be trying to add walls back and use quality building materials.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
If the budget allows, consider new cabinet doors. You can sand, prime, and paint the face frames your self. There are on-line companies that will make doors to your specifications and size.
In my own kitchen the cabinets and doors were sanded, primed and painted and it make a world of difference in the looks.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I know I am late to the conversation, but concrete countertops are still in. Darker color, looks good with the right paint colors. Also soapstone is really nice and trendy, but more expensive. Additionally, the worn or weathered look is really in. Just search "antiqued cabinets".

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Well we have a sale agreement without a kitchen change :icon_thum Thanks again for all the thoughts and advice. We were starting test finishes on extra doors (cabinets pulled from elsewhere). Figured I'd show how a refinish looked. General Finishes milk paint antique white. I planned a topcoat of GF high performance poly. We were also planning on a contrasting island finish. Depicted is brushed application, although brush vs spray was TBD.
attachment.php

Attachments

• cabinet door.jpeg
    cabinet door.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 239

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Well we have a sale agreement without a kitchen change :icon_thum Thanks again for all the thoughts and advice. We were starting test finishes on extra doors (cabinets pulled from elsewhere). Figured I'd show how a refinish looked. General Finishes milk paint antique white. I planned a topcoat of GF high performance poly. We were also planning on a contrasting island finish. Depicted is brushed application, although brush vs spray was TBD.
attachment.php

that looks great! show it to the new owners, maybe you can make a ton of extra money !

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I don't think those look dated, think they still look pretty good!!! But then again, I like wood not paint. Probably a lot of opinions, white is inexpensive, hence the trend. In my opinion the dating has more to do with the layout, the Corian, the cabinets not being stacked but rather in a straight line. I don't think refacing them will make much difference. I just sold a house and there were all kinds of feedback until the right buyer who was seriously looking, not just window shopping came by and it sold. If it were me I would leave the kitchen as is.

I agree with "leave it as is". I, too, am partial to the natural wood look even when stained as these are. In fact, when we did the kitchen redo in 2008 we went from natural finish birch plywood to solid red oak stained with brown mahogany stain. The wife loves it and if she is happy I am happy.

Jerry

ste6168

New User
Mike
attachment.php

Glad to hear you are under contract. We had a cheap kitchen to begin with, and don't plan to be in this home forever, so I brushed the frames white and bought some MDF thermofoil doors. While it is certainly not high-end, it looks far better than it did. That said, I HATE the white also, and will never have white cabinets again, unless the next house comes with them...

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
I'd paint the walls a very light smoke blue, spend $ on granite countertop & Glass Tile Backsplash and leave the cabinets alone.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
We received the final check today, so no worries; except, the new house...
The old house had "good bones" and a "dated look". The new house cabinets, well...
attachment.php
attachment.php

That's the #1 drawer (silverware). How many things not to like about this drawer construction?:confused:

Here's new replacement drawer box vs existing:
attachment.php
attachment.php

Much better but all of the rest of the house cabinet drawers were built the same rickety way. Face frames are glued on with PL excess oozing out on the interior:nah:

Attachments

• drawer corner 1.JPG
    drawer corner 1.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 193
  • drawer 2 copy.JPG
    drawer 2 copy.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 201
  • drawers on floor 2.JPG
    drawers on floor 2.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 194
  • drawer new.JPG
    drawer new.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 195

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That said, I HATE the white also, and will never have white cabinets again, unless the next house comes with them...

Fair enough but why the hate on white? Just curious.

ste6168

New User
Mike
That said, I HATE the white also, and will never have white cabinets again, unless the next house comes with them...

Fair enough but why the hate on white? Just curious.

Two kids and a dog. They never look clean, ever! Always food splatter, dirty fingerprints, drips of some type of sauce, etc. I feel like we wipe down the doors everyday. At least with non-white cabinets, this stuff wouldn't be as easily recognizable.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The construction of rickety drawer box #1 was originally pretty sound with the rabbet and drawer side but it needed a few dowels or screws in addition to the glue to keep it together. The fix is poor from the start.

A better construction would've been a "locked" rabbet.

https://www.woodmagazine.com/video/build-super-simple-drawers

Pic #4. I can't tell clearly but is that a mitered construction? Splines for better strength?

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Personal choice but I always edge band the drawers I think they look a bit more refined.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
The construction of rickety drawer box #1 was originally pretty sound with the rabbet and drawer side but it needed a few dowels or screws in addition to the glue to keep it together. The fix is poor from the start.

A better construction would've been a "locked" rabbet.

https://www.woodmagazine.com/video/build-super-simple-drawers

Pic #4. I can't tell clearly but is that a mitered construction? Splines for better strength?
mitered with hidden dominoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS