Kitchen Progress - The Cabinet Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
These cabinet doors are taking forever to complete. I am almost there, they just need a few more coats of Waterlox. I went with the Euro style hinges because they are adjustable (DaveO). It was a pain to drill all the holes - if I had it to do over again, I would have built a large table and fence for my little drill press. Or, better yet, I would have bought a real drill press instead of my little HF special. I am looking forward to hanging the doors and having this phase complete!

I am learning a lot with each project. I cut the boards and planed them as I went. I tried to make all of the doors out of the same board. If I had it to do over again, I would have skinned the boards so I could have gotten a better idea about the grain and pattern. Some of the doors have a much different pattern than others. Hopefully, it will look OK.

I sanded and sanded the doors. In all my other projects, I used hand planes and scrapers. But, I got a new sander and it made quick work of the doors. I found a few places that I wish I had sanded more after I put on the Waterlox. But, it is good enough for who it is for.

475263205_W2RWa-X2.jpg

475263253_xwxCu-X2.jpg

475263223_MyuJp-X2.jpg

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Adjustable Euro hinges are the only way to go. Your frustration level will decrease ten fold with them. DAMHIKT
Nice figure in those doors, are you going to use any thing to hep keep them flat???

Dave:)

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I should have made a picture of the backs of the doors. Each door has three battens made out of edge grain hard maple that are 3/4" thick and 1 1/2" wide. Each batten is the width of the door less 1 1/2." The battens are screwed to the door with three screws. I made the holes the screws are in large enough to allow for movement. Hopefully, that will work!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I should have made a picture of the backs of the doors. Each door has three battens made out of edge grain hard maple that are 3/4" thick and 1 1/2" wide. Each batten is the width of the door less 1 1/2." The battens are screwed to the door with three screws. I made the holes the screws are in large enough to allow for movement. Hopefully, that will work!

:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum You got it:eusa_clap

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
That's some scale of operation! Great looking doors, I wouldn't worry about the variations in pattern. That's the nature of working with real wood.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Great looking doors, Michael:icon_thum. Looks like you spent a lot of time on the sanding part! Man, there's a bunch of them...

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Nice maple... You may want to consider three catches one near the top in the middle and bottom. Flat sawn lumber has a tendency to want to twist when there is nothing to discourage it from doing so.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Nice maple... You may want to consider three catches one near the top in the middle and bottom. Flat sawn lumber has a tendency to want to twist when there is nothing to discourage it from doing so.

Will the three battens I described above not be enough to keep it from twisting? I made them so the grain was perpendicular to the grain on the doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors