Kitchen Prep Table

ste6168

New User
Mike
A couple weeks ago, I asked here for some help with this table design, for the lower shelf. I really wasn't fond of the notches the clients current table (freinds) had, and wanted to go a different route, but ended up going that way anyway. I put those stretchers closer to the back of the leg, and overhung the lower shelf slightly, to try and match the look of the top, without extending past the edge of the leg. A few things to note. The client required the bottom shelf 11.25" off the floor for basket storage, they also required the towel bar. That out of the way, table is all solid maple with an aluminum rod. All floating mortise and tenon joinery, done with a DIY mortise and tenon jig that I actually made mid-way through this project, lol. Top is laminated 2" strips of 8/4 maple. Final dimensions of table are 60" x 16" x 36" (lwh). Top and shelf will be attached with z-clips.

Just about finished sanding, couple more touch ups, next is the dreaded finishing stage. Client wants the base painted white, top/shelf to be left natural. I have another white painted project coming up, so I decided to order a sprayer (Fuji Semi-Pro 2) and try that route. We shall see how that goes, I will be looking for advice on spraying finish next. :p

Oh0lF3d.jpg

0ClOAlo.jpg

Full Album (so far):

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Just about finished sanding, couple more touch ups, next is the dreaded finishing stage. Client wants the base painted white, top/shelf to be left natural. I have another white painted project coming up, so I decided to order a sprayer (Fuji Semi-Pro 2) and try that route. We shall see how that goes, I will be looking for advice on spraying finish next. :p
Nicely done (so far) Mike.
Instead of white 'paint' I would choose a white tinted lacquer. I use Target Coatings water based products; get on their mailing list to receive the discount of the month... I have not really sprayed anything before but with a cheap Spray-it gun and a compressor I am able to get decent finishes (much smoother than any 'paint' finish). Tinted lacquer is far easier to spray than any latex paint in my view - as it comes ready to spray; no dilution or viscosity testing necessary.

Going to be a great table!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That looks nice. The client wants it painted white with what type of white paint? Oil based? I wouldn't use latex.

Just about finished sanding, couple more touch ups, next is the dreaded finishing stage. Client wants the base painted white, top/shelf to be left natural.

Why do you and many other woodworkers hate/dread finishing? So you remove the top and shelf and paint the base white. Then finish the top/shelf in Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish or whatever the client wants. Both seem easy to me and I don't dread finishing.

ste6168

New User
Mike
Nicely done (so far) Mike.
Instead of white 'paint' I would choose a white tinted lacquer. I use Target Coatings water based products; get on their mailing list to receive the discount of the month... I have not really sprayed anything before but with a cheap Spray-it gun and a compressor I am able to get decent finishes (much smoother than any 'paint' finish). Tinted lacquer is far easier to spray than any latex paint in my view - as it comes ready to spray; no dilution or viscosity testing necessary.

Going to be a great table!

Thank Henry - I have not looked into that product much, yet, but it sounds interesting. I plan to do some research over the next few days, and try to land on a solution for early next week when the gun arrives. I have been contemplating a spray gun purchase for quite some time, mainly to spray clear finishes, but being that I have two painted commissioned project back-to-back, figured now is as good a time as any! Thanks for the comments and advice, I will definitely be looking into that as an option.

ste6168

New User
Mike
That looks nice. The client wants it painted white with what type of white paint? Oil based? I wouldn't use latex.

Why do you and many other woodworkers hate/dread finishing? So you remove the top and shelf and paint the base white. Then finish the top/shelf in Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish or whatever the client wants. Both seem easy to me and I don't dread finishing.

Hi Jeff - The client is a friend, I am building this table for them for pennies. I am simply a hobby woodworker, most times I don't even consider building for others simply due to time constraints (work, kids, house upkeep, etc.). Presently, I am not working due to COVID and a temp furlough from work, so I took on a few commissioned projects for friends. Not necessarily to make money, but for something to do... That said, they don't care/didn't specify what type of paint. So long as the base is white, I am sure they will be happy, regardless of the type of product used.. That said, I am going to really look into the pigmented lacquer mentioned earlier in the thread, sounds like it could be a good option for both projects I have upcoming.

I wouldn't say that I HATE finishing, I just don't think I am all that good at it. 99% of my projects are finished the same way. I typically use a poly thinned with mineral spirts, rubbed on with a t-shirt type rag. "Sand" with 0000 steel wool in between coats, a few coats is typically sufficient. First 3-ish coats I use full-gloss, last coat I use whatever sheen I am looking for. While I think it does turn out looking good, I always just sort of loathe that step. I would much rather be building, than finishing.

ste6168

New User
Mike

Here is a pretty good example of what my typical finish looks like. I built this game table for my kids playroom a couple months ago. Top is finished as I described above, and base was simply painted with a roller, using this Krylon ColorMAXX product: Krylon ColorMAXX, Lowes

5UmyTQQ.jpg

UZMsokf.jpg

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Here is a pretty good example of what my typical finish looks like. I built this game table for my kids playroom a couple months ago. Top is finished as I described above, and base was simply painted with a roller, using this Krylon ColorMAXX product: Krylon ColorMAXX, Lowes

5UmyTQQ.jpg

UZMsokf.jpg

Your finishing job looks fine. Most of us complain about how bad our finishing jobs look and we aren't professionals at finishing either.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks Bruce. They are very pleased with the pictures of it, thus far. Table is headed up to MD once finished!

How wide is the lower shelf now? You originally had it between the legs and it was too narrow at 10" w. Just curious and still a nice job.

More pics to come after your "dreaded finishing" is done?

Shipping to Maryland or are you delivering it there for your friends?

ste6168

New User
Mike
How wide is the lower shelf now? You originally had it between the legs and it was too narrow at 10" w. Just curious and still a nice job.

More pics to come after your "dreaded finishing" is done?

Shipping to Maryland or are you delivering it there for your friends?

Thanks Jeff. I think I am going to spray the base with Targets EM6500 product, recommended earlier in the thread. I just called them and spoke with them, figure now is as good of a time as ever to learn. Will definitely do some cardboard practicing first. I will certainly post pictures once it is fully finished, just finished the bottoms of the top/shelf yesterday and this morning.

They will be coming to pick it up. They may send their son-in-law down to grab it, not entirely sure yet. Their son-in-law is actually my friend, I know them through him.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
So how wide is the bottom shelf and the legs now?

Good luck on your spray finishing. How will you finish the top and bottom sections?

ste6168

New User
Mike
So how wide is the bottom shelf and the legs now?

Good luck on your spray finishing. How will you finish the top and bottom sections?

Oh man, completely forgot to address that question, lol. The bottom shelf is now 12.5" wide, so still not a whole ton wider, but it is what it is. I could have maybe squeezed another .5 inch with small inset in the legs, but truth be told, to do so, I would have had to cut another board. Didn't think it was worth it at that point. I will finish the top/shelf that same way I normally do, rubbed on poly/mineral spirts mix.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Even though I own a Fuji, I had great success using a small SprayIt gun with Target 6500, much easier to spray into tight places.

ste6168

New User
Mike
Well guys, I threw a makeshift spray shield (booth) together today so I could get this table painted and out of the shop. I ended up spraying the Target 6500, bright white, product out of the Fuji SemiPro 2 stage gun. I poured the lacquer directly into gun, no thinning whatsoever, using the 1.8mm tip. I am a complete amateur at this, considering this is my first time ever spraying. I messed around on a bunch of cardboard first, and figured it was time to give it a go. While the finish didn't come out nearly as smooth as I would have hoped, or liked, it is FAR better than I could have ever done with a brush. From 16" away, the finish looks immaculate, any closer and you can see some roughness. No clue what caused that, whether it was painting technique or poor sanding, or both... I am thinking about letting this coat cure for a few days, then lightly sanding with like 800/1000 grit. Well see. Anyway, onto the pictures.

Makeshift spray booth:
1aZq87A.jpg

sl0bNsd.jpg

rNJEFDg.jpg

ste6168

New User
Mike
Brought my tablet right up to my face and still couldn't see any roughness Nice work!

Thanks Johnny. It’s a nice finish, IMO, just when you rub your hand down it, not smooth to touch. I think I am going to try and just hit it with some high grit paper, I think that’ll do the trick. Either way, far better than any paint I have applied with a brush!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS