Kitchen Knives

Alex Stokes

New User
Alex
Hi,

Not entirely on topic but... has anyone found a good person to sharpen kitchen knives? Apex Knife Sharpening?

I've got a set of good Wusthof knives and I'm tired of putting a crumby edge on them :(

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Last edited:

Alex Stokes

New User
Alex
Thanks Mike. I bought the Lansky system. I feel like an utter failure. I’ve got 5-6 Japanese wetstones and my knives are still dull as an old axe. I guess I’m just not nailing the angle? Shoot me your number? I may take you up on a class!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
At the farmer's market in down town Apex, there is a vendor who sharpens knives. Might want to check him out.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Another thing to consider is what the knife is used for: Some perform better with a low angle dual bevel (slicers), and some do better with a chisel profile (flat back with micro-bevel and beveled front) (veggie prep). For these, left-handed people may want to reverse the edge that is beveled. Chopping knives will normally have a higher angle on the secondary bevel to help maintain the edge (30 degrees for chopping up frozen food, and 50 degrees for a meat cleaver).

Leonard Lee covers this a bit in his book, The Complete Guide to Sharpening, also stating that for slicing soft items like meat and veggies a little bit of "tooth" is better than a polished edge. He recommends stopping with a 400x to 1200x grit for those.

Last edited:

Alex Stokes

New User
Alex
Thanks Mark, the video was tremendously helpful. I picked up the Lansky kit but I don't like it. I'm going to get Wicked's ME-130. It seems like the Lanky upgrade :). I appreciate you taking the time to link those - thanks!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS