Kitchen Island (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfre

New User
Manfre
This kitchen island from ikea has followed my wife and I for over 5 years. It's served its purpose, but it has been less than ideal and we needed more counter space.

IMG_20130111_195721.jpg

For a while (~3 years), our kitchen has been way too small for our needs. We need more storage for appliances that are not being used (floor doesn't count), more counter top space (4 sq. ft. of usable space is not enough), and shelves to put cookbooks (vertical towers of books make great obstacles for a toddler).

I started to work on a kitchen island project that wouldn't have happened anytime soon, if not for a bit of luck with winning Phil's generosity (a 36" base cabinet and solid core door).

After getting the cabinet home, it needed a back. I had some 1/2" plywood left over from a train table and plenty of primer/paint left over from the chicken coop.

IMG_20130111_194332.jpg

The original plan for the island top was to use a sheet of 3/4" plywood folded to give a 1.5" top, but Phil had a solid core door available when I went to get the base cabinet. I'm not sure if a special tool is needed to properly remove that commercial door knob, but a reciprocating saw works really well. I rough cut the door in half through the knob and then cleaned up all of the edges with a circular saw. I added 3/4" pine(?) edging from some extra pieces of 1x6 I found in the shop. If I bought it for a previous project that still counts as free, right?

IMG_20130109_200016.jpg

FYI, not enough clamps in that picture.

If you've ever heard the saying, "police your brass", it also applies to woodworking. Hypothetically speaking, if you were to misplace a screw from a door hinge and then rediscover the screw after placing the piece of solid core door on it, then congratulations are in order! You earned yourself a good excuse to refinish the door!

Now here's a picture of a partially sanded door for no particular reason.

IMG_20130110_000259.jpg

With the help of a joist mounted radiant heater, I pre-stained and stained the entire piece today.

IMG_20130111_194039.jpg

I need to wait for the piece to fully dry overnight and I'm wondering if there is something better for a kitchen counter top than a few coats of wipe on poly?

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Looking good. Wipe on Poly should protect that top just fine. Several coats will be give it a good hard surface. Don't forget to finish the bottom side.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Poly is fine, but I wouldn't use a wipe-on. I'd brush on a water-based poly. It'll dry quicker, and you only need 2-3 coats vs 5-6 for the wipe-on.
Great looking top BTW.

manfre

New User
Manfre
Marke said:
Don't forget to finish the bottom side.

The front and sides will have ~2" overhang, and the back will have an ~10" overhang with shelves below it. All faces were stained and will be finished. The "bottom" will be whichever side looks worse. :)

Below is a test fitting so my wife could sign off on the stain color. There are stairs to the right of the picture, which make it so the bottom will be visible frequently.

IMG_20130112_141526.jpg

Poly is fine, but I wouldn't use a wipe-on. I'd brush on a water-based poly. It'll dry quicker, and you only need 2-3 coats vs 5-6 for the wipe-on.
Great looking top BTW.

Thanks! I wasn't aware water based poly existed for non-floor applications. Shorter dry time and lack of fumes make it worth twice the price.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I wasn't aware water based poly existed for non-floor applications. Shorter dry time and lack of fumes make it worth twice the price.
Use the water based floor poly. If it will stand up to floor traffic, then it stand up to anything on the counter. Varathane's Diamond floor finish (gloss) is my standard finish on cabinets for the YMCA.

manfre

New User
Manfre
Four coats on the top and three on the bottom. FYI, "light handling" apparently doesn't include flipping and letting the weight of the counter press on the a few points of the finish. I didn't wait the full 24 hours for a complete cure before flipping it. The rubber pads on my saw horses left an impression even through a few layers of folded fabric.

IMG_20130113_204024.jpg

IMG_20130113_204057.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS