kitchen island top temporary finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
I am nearing completion of my new kitchen island but I am several months away from ordering the granite top. My wife needs a working island so I will have to fabricate a top that can be used until the granite arrives.

My thought was a double layer of particle board with some kind of finish that will stand up to kitchen duty and cleanups.

Any good thoughts out there? I was thinking of a thick coating of urethane, or a solvent paint.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
You can get a sheet of laminate pretty cheap and glue that onto the MDF. When you get the granite to replace it, you can re-use the old laminated counter top as a nice bench top in the shop.

Even a thick coat of poly on the MDF may not enough protection. MDF likes to dring any moisture it can find, and all it takes is a small scratch in the finish to let that moisture in. DAMHIKT!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I would go to the Borg and by a counter top long enough to do the job. After the granite comes in, use it in the shop for a workbench top. If you can find one too long with a damaged end, you may be able to get the price knocked down.

Go

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
What size do you need Gordon? I've got some pieces of laminate counter top that you are more than welcome to if they'll work. I also have some solid core doors if you want to go that route.

Just let me know, I'm more than happy to get them out of the way :-D

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
Phillip,
Thanks for the wonderful offer. I would need to cover 36 x36. I am going to try to remove my current countertop later this week for reuse but if it does not work, I might get back in touch with you next weekend and see if your counter top will work. Thanks a bunch.

Mark

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Just let me know! I've got lots and if nothing else we can piece some together.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Cover the particle board with a piece of hard board and the any finish will be fine. The cost of a 4'x4' pc. should be nominal at the BORG.

Good luck.

FlyingRon

Ron
I bought some particle board underlayment that was pretty smooth at the borg for my old kitchen counter. I ripped additional strips about 6' to make edges around the edge to make the illusion of more thickness. I then just glued laminate over the top of it and to the edges. No need for hardboard or anything else.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
While waiting for SWMBO to pick her granite I covered ours with a scrap piece of chip board and placed self stick floor tiles on it. got them at BORG on clearance for almost nothing. she changed the tiles several times looking for the right color combination to go with the new cabinets. 2 birds with one stone!:gar-Bi it worked fine but looked like spilled s##t.:rotflm: only took 2 1/2 years for her to find the right color...... by that time shee could have got peach granite for all i cared!:icon_cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS