Kitchen island take 2

eyekode

New User
Salem
We are in the process of redoing our kitchen which includes bumping out the back of our house for a little more room. I have a GC doing most of the work but I am on the hook for the island.

Here is the general layout of new kitchen:
View attachment 29723

As you can see we are planning seating on two sides of the island. The overall size of the top is 96x44 as drawn.

Here is my current plan (side facing the stove):
View attachment 29724

And here is a render of the opposite corner showing both overhangs (~12-14" inch overhangs):
View attachment 29725

I am planning on making the carcass out of pre-finished maple and wrapping it in black walnut face frame, full overlay doors and panels.

I have never made a cabinet quite this large but since I want toe kick on both sides I am thinking about building the carcass as one piece with a continuous face frame and placing it on a separate riser to provide the toe kick. Here is an exploded drawing:
View attachment 29727

Note the top is stone. I will use steel L brackets to support the overhang. But I am a little concerned with the toe kick region on the right of the cabinet as it will be unsupported (only a few inches, but stone is heavy).

Suggestions?
Thanks!
Salem

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I like the design of the island. But, what is the clearance between the island and the stove? Cannot really tell from the drawing, but it appears to be pretty tight, even more so if you planned seating on that side of the island. It needs to take into account clearance with the oven door open, someone accessing the oven and the seating being occupied I'd think. Just curious, no criticism intended.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
nn4jw (Jim) brings up a good point! The person getting into the oven will be bent over, reaching in and pulling out a turkey. There will need to be room to move out of the way of the door so that turkey can be set down so that the oven can then be closed.
I noticed that the end panels are as wide as the end. That makes a very annoying crumb trap.

Remember, you asked.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I like the design of the island. But, what is the clearance between the island and the stove? Cannot really tell from the drawing, but it appears to be pretty tight, even more so if you planned seating on that side of the island. It needs to take into account clearance with the oven door open, someone accessing the oven and the seating being occupied I'd think. Just curious, no criticism intended.

I came here for the criticism. You know the constructive kind :).

One of the major considerations of this kitchen redo is spacing. My current kitchen gets tight. So there is at least 42" between all counters (and often more). Note the seating is not on the side of the oven. The seating is on the other side of the island. Sorry for the confusion there.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Berta,
I thought that was an awkward place too (the crumb trap). Maybe I should lift up the panel to match the toe kick and run a trim board around the perimeter? Just not sure how to tie that in. Let me think about it.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
FWIW- my island (stone topped) has toe kick on three sides and 12" overhang on the remaining long side.
The overhang is not supported by any l-brackets. It has served well for 15+ years.
The cabinet side below the overhang is flush - no toe kick.
But the lower corners are notched to open up the crumb catcher

hope that helps

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I built a one piece island, smaller than your plans, in our last house and put up a large island with a 45 degree corner and raised top in my current house. I like your plans, your construction method looks good to me and I think it will look good. The long side with the seating could be done either way, either cut the corners, I would change the face frame to just follow the clipped corner, or put up with a little debris accumulation in the corner. I think the clipped corner will look fine but it will be a little harder to build.

I don't see all the dimensions but remember you need a minimum of 12 inch overhang for eating space and 15-18 inches is better. All the stone places want support for that kind of overhang, at least in this area. You do not need to use L shaped brackets, however, but they are one option. You can just install flat steel, 1/4 or so thick, on the top of the cabinets and flush with the top of the cabinets. The advantage is you will not really see it. That is what I did. It stops an inch or so from the edge. Mine is just screwed to the top of the 2x4 wall, you can support yours better by tying it to both sides of the cabinets - that will be a long piece of steel 3 feet or so.

I would also give some thought to outlets. In the smaller island of my previous house I built a couple into the cabinet near the top. The overhang was small and they were useful - but difficult to wire.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS