Kitchen Island: Completed!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Donn,

I'm curious about the dimensions of your kitchen island. Length, width, & height. Interesting design too. Why did you use Ash for the base instead of a cheaper wood if you intended to paint it?
Jeff, the top is 53" wide and 36" deep, I allowed for 1.5" of overhang of the corbels as well as the leg posts (front and sides).
the height is 36.5" and matches the height of the kitchen countertops. As to the choice of wood, while I had never worked with ash prior to this project it was among the least expensive of the hardwoods and I did want to use a hardwood. Poplar and pine are cheaper and I have use both of these woods for drawer boxes, but I felt they would be too soft for the island.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Jeff, the top is 53" wide and 36" deep, I allowed for 1.5" of overhang of the corbels as well as the leg posts (front and sides).
the height is 36.5" and matches the height of the kitchen countertops. As to the choice of wood, while I had never worked with ash prior to this project it was among the least expensive of the hardwoods and I did want to use a hardwood. Poplar and pine are cheaper and I have use both of these woods for drawer boxes, but I felt they would be too soft for the island.

Thanks Donn. I have a better picture of it now (it's larger than I thought). Yes, ash is pretty cheap and it's hard and heavy.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Beautiful Donn, glad I don't live next door!
John it would be great to have you as a neighbor! As a general rule, if you are collecting Social Security or are old enough to be collecting it, I typically exclude from my muscle team but are considered valued consultants.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I am very appreciative of all the kind comments regarding the island. It is now in the kitchen and I am delighted to report that my wife is very happy with the result. Even though I measured and re-measured many times, as I was building it I grew worried that it was going to be too big for the kitchen...but it works very well!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS