Kitchen design using 2020

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Did this design for a customer.
Interesting, she prefers floating shelves over cabinets.
Seems they are the new thing, but wonder how hard it would be to keep that clean and neat?
Software renders nice once one has played with it a bit.

34EA07B6-AD3C-41CA-8A4F-36B80027BE10.jpeg

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep, 2020 is powerful program. Good rendering.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I could probably make the open shelves work. IF I got rid of all the stuff in the upper cabinets that I don't use!

JimD

Jim
Senior User
If you have dishes you use nearly daily on open shelves, I think it might work OK. But for anything that sits for a week or more, it will be dusty when you go to use it. At least it would be in my house. I don't know if it's people trying to be cheap or if it is just the "in" thing but I think a lot of open shelves will end up replaced by cabinets. Who wants to have to dust the contents just to be able to use them? Who wants to be confronted by my tupperware every trip to the kitchen? I think anybody contemplating open shelves needs to consider what will be on them in terms of frequency of usage and appearance. If it will be used frequently and you don't mind seeing it every trip to the kitchen, it may be a good alternative. But for less attractive things, you need another place to put it. Who needs a bunch of nice looking shelves you don't want to use for your stuff?

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Does this kitchen have a separate pantry? Got to put the Cap'n Crunch somewhere.

Roy G

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I don't like it at all whatever the reasons for the "modern" look. It looks stark and cold.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
It's a nice, clean look, especially if you're using it to display stuff, but I'd have it looking like a disaster in no time

Jeff

New User
Jeff
"2020 Design" looks like a pretty handy package and they have a free trial offer. The full package subscription is about $1500-2000/year. OUCH!

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
It's an "in" thing right now. Was awhile ago too. Didn't last long as people quickly realize in a kitchen it isn't functional. Good for decorative, but you have to dust often, as a lot of what is done in the kitchen produces dust (spices, flour, sugar, etc.) When it's time to resell, she'll end up putting regular cabinets in.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I’ve used 2020 for about 30 years, it is designed for professionals in the industry. It isn’t cheep to keep, however I work with a company with 25 to 35 designers working with the same license for this program. That makes the bill much bigger than 1500 to 2000. With the right training this program is a real money maker.
as for the open shelf design, to each their own. It’s your kitchen do what you want. I’ll give you the same level of attention for that as I will for floor to ceiling cabinets.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
I have done similar in closets, i used a laminate as close as possible to the countertop for the horizontal surfaces. pictures on FB

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
It looks clean and open, good for selling it, but not for practical use. Might be good for the new generation, they seem to be more into using things rather than owning and collecting them. So much now is built for that single usage.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS