Kitchen Cart In Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
A few months ago, I got some Ash and Oak from Rick Dinardo. Rick said he didn't want to see nay pic of the wood until it became something. So here is my work in progress kitchen cart. The final dimensions with top mounted are 30" W x 27" deep x 34" high. The top is supposed to end up 1 3/4" thick. I will mount the wheels later in the assembly.

I started gluing the top by gluing 3 strips (1 13/16" x 3/4") together at a time and clamping. So I still need to glue the 3-strip sections together. I thought :eusa_doh:gluing the smaller sections would keep me from entering "slide city"; I did pass through the suburbs however. :BangHead: Once I get it glued up, I will mooch some shop time from a caring souls with a wide belt sander....or start working on my hand planing technique (which calls for buying some planes besides HF-quality).

I may have enough oak to complete the top for the second cart. Yeah, if I do something wrong, I insist on doing it twice. :dontknow:

I have 2 oak panels, 3/8" thick, that I made while toying around with my edge gluing technique, which I had hoped to use. But of course, the panels are about 1/4" short. :roll: So I will need to get more oak to do the shelves.

One more thing, that is Seymour, one of my shop cats in the pics. I trapped him and his brother, Malcolm, at work. The mother cat was a feral that took some work to finally corral; she is living a life of luxury now, after being spayed.

IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0009.jpg
IMG_0010.jpg

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Waterlox Original is shaping up to be the finish of choice, then coat the top with some poly.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Tom, the cart looks like it is going to be sturdy, functional, and beautiful. :icon_cheers But I'm afraid you disturbed your shop buddy when you moved it to take the second pic. :rotflm:

Bill

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Cathy, I had considered flip-up extensions at one end, but decided to keep this first one basic. I may have a go with extensions on the second cart.

bwat

New User
Bill
Looks very nice. :icon_thum Would only take a couple of modifications and it could find a good home in the shop?!?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS