King Size Bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

TN Woodie

New User
John
A friend of mine in Asheville is very interested in finding someone to make this bed for him. I will forward messages to him from this site.

His preference would be walnut (since most of his other bedroom furniture is walnut). Hix second choice would be mahogany.

He does NOT need whoever makes the bed to handle the leather upholstery. He can take the wood headboard they create to a local leather or upholstery person and have the leather and nail-head work done.

King_Four_Poster_Bed.jpg

Headboard4.jpg

Post_Top_Detail.jpg

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
:swoon: Man, I can't wait to see who ends up making this (and how)!

Mainly, how do you do the legs. :eusa_thin

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ain't nuthin' but a thang.......but it's a BIG thang! :gar-La;
This looks like it lends itself to someone with a copy lathe and router attachment - and a looooong bed.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I [STRIKE]can't[/STRIKE] want touch this one - The last time I seen something like this built is when I was working in the furnitue factory many many years ago - I think I will go take a shower

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Wish I wasnt in Germany, its a lot of work for the legs becouse its almost all done by hand. But its good work, and the headboard could be made out of a secondary wood since its being covered with leather. If I werent stationed overseas I would be ALL over it!

02blues

New User
john
Wow. What a wonderful bed. I have been looking for a master bed to make and have been sketching out some plans. I am totally into this dark wood and barley twist. I have experimented with it twice now in a cane and as a double helix candle stick. (both in gallery). I would have to do all posts by hand which would be quite an undertaking. The finials would be turned separately on the spring pole lathe. In addition I would have to make two (one for me!). I don't know if I am your guy but I wouldn't mind talking about the project as I am planning to go there either way. If it does not "turn out" it hides in my bedroom!

Where did they find this photo? Who made this one?
Feel free to pm me.
John /02blues

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Even if you had a big lathe, how do you make the "spiral"?

It seems like you would have to turn it really slowly and have a huge router bit on a track moving at a precise speed? :eusa_thin

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Even if you had a big lathe, how do you make the "spiral"?

It seems like you would have to turn it really slowly and have a huge router bit on a track moving at a precise speed? :eusa_thin
I seem to remember Sears had a lathe setup that did spirals like this 10-15 years ago. It wasn't so much a lathe as a headstock & tailstock attached to a router with some cables and gears for turning the headstock as the router was advanced parallel and down the spindle similar to a lead screw assembly on a metal lathe. It wasn't large enough to do something like that, but in principle.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS