King Seely Drill Press Question

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Back in 2015, I made and posted this video of my Craftsman/King Seeley Drill Press with the Vari-Slo attachment. From that video, I learned that the pulley channels expand and contract to accommodate changes in the belt tension. After freeing up both pulleys, they seem to work correctly. However, at low speed, the belts are loose, and the drill bits can bog down when drilling. I've tried to optimize the tension on the belt between the pulley and the motor, but something else is amiss. Maybe the pulleys are not expanding and contracting enough. I'm looking for suggestions on what to do.

This website seems to suggest that I may have to take the VS attachment apart and lubricate the bearings. When I worked on it before, I could not get the attachment out of the drill. There's a good chance that I'm not up to whatever it might take to get this thing in good shape. (It's usable now, but it's a pain not being able to drill as slowly as I would like.)

Another issue with this drill press is that lack of a table lift. Adjusting the table is tough. The older I get, the harder it gets. I'm also wondering if I should just get a new drill press and spend my time doing more productive things.

By the way, there is a bushing or bearing that goes between the speed adjustment handle and the dial on the casing. It was missing on mine. A few years ago, a guy who had machined some sold his extras on eBay, and I got one, so that's a big plus.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
As a general statement if you are going to work on it and get it apart, you will need some soft blocks to pound on, some short some longer/ I use Oak or maple and Aluminum. You will need a regular candle, like a votive candle. disassemble as far as you can, then heat up to about 400 degrees or so, rub the candle on all the joints you need to break free and tap quickly and not too hard to assist in the wax wicking in. The candle wax works better than penetrates in certain conditions. Likely this is one of those. Then, continue to heat and tap harder and work the pieces until it breaks away. Remember to back the critical parts as not to tweak the drill press.
The above is for the adventurous. If time is important to you, get a different drill press. Sometimes the get a different drill press is the better part of valor.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Another issue with this drill press is that lack of a table lift. Adjusting the table is tough. The older I get, the harder it gets. I'm also wondering if I should just get a new drill press and spend my time doing more productive things.
An option on a table lift is to improvise a pulley and counterweight from the table, up to the head, and back down to a window weight or some other ballast. I have one of the old Craftsman shoelace belt DPs and that's what I did to help with that issue.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS