King bed update & playing w/ SketchUp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I decided to turn the oak headboard I built a few weeks ago into a complete bed by removing it from the steel bed frame, then building and adding a footboard and side rails.

I am almost done with the footboard- all M & T joints are cut and dry-fitted. I still need to cut the mortises into the posts and rails for the rail attachment hardware before I give everything a final sanding and glue it up.

You will notice in the SketchUp drawings the rails are mounted to the sides of the posts instead of the opposing faces - this was necessary because the headboard was built to fit the steel frame. If I mounted the rails the traditional way, a box spring wouldn't fit between them. It will look different but should be fine- I'll just mount the hardware to the outside of the posts and inner face of the rails. It should actually be stronger since the rail bracket screws won't be going into end grain.

I decided to go ahead and apply a decorative treatment to the MDF panels so have been experimenting with various treatments. I am leaning towards using one of the faux finishes like Ernie uses on some of his harpsichords. In fact, I actually sampled two and used them to decorate the panels in Sketchup.

I also put together a proposal for an article based on mixing finishes that I fired off to my editor.

I was inspired by ECU's last minute "Hail Mary" win over Tulsa yesterday, so I modified the panels of the footboard in the third drawing this morning. It appears you can import just about anything into SketchUp and apply it as a "texture" to any part the project drawing! Check it out!

These two color patterns were sampled from photographs of Ernie's harpsichords:

King_Bed-Sponge-Mottled.jpg

King_Bed-Sponge-GB.jpg

Just playing around: :rotflm:

King_Bed-Sponge-Logo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors