Kids Adirondack chair WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have started working on the child size Adirondack chair for my wife to give as a gift and one for my daughter (to avoid the melt-down when she sees it).
The prototype mock up to get dimensions and shapes:

KidsAdirondackchair002.jpg

KidsAdirondackchair001.jpg

The dry fit and trying to visualize how the back's curve will be cut.

KidsAdirondackchair003.jpg

KidsAdirondackchair004.jpg

Opinions wanted on the curve of the top of the back. I think you can see the line I've drawn.

KidsAdirondackchair005.jpg

I would appreciate y'alls opinions on the geometry and proportions. Lessons learned $9 for a plan is cheap compared to the time I spent 'ciphering all the dimensions. And next one I will buy wood and make it out of 3/4" stock instead of scrap 5/4 decking stock I had. I think that I over engineered the chair :eusa_doh: it could have a lighter feel to it.
Thanks in advance for y'alls thoughts.
Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
You're making quick progress - very nice! I agree about the plans - it's much easier to modify a plan to your liking than to try to figure out something from scratch that you've never done before.

Oh yea - maybe it's just the pic, but the curve looks a little asymmetrical to me... a tiny bit higher on the right side of the chair (left side of the pic) :-?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
insomniac said:
Oh yea - maybe it's just the pic, but the curve looks a little asymmetrical to me... a tiny bit higher on the right side of the chair (left side of the pic) :-?

You've got good eyes. It is a little off on one side. My Maple bending strip decided to warp some since I last used it. I will probably cut the good side and use it as a template for the other. I'm still in 'ciphering mode right now. What do you think of the height of the starting of the curve? Should I lower it?

Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
If I were you I'd sit your daughter down in it before deciding that -- take a look at where her head and shoulders are, and cut it proportionally. With a little extra room for growth, of course!!! :lol:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Looking good Dave.:icon_thum I think the curve you have designed for the back will work well.

D L

frankson

New User
Jeff
Dave,

Looks great! can't wait to see the final chair.

I agree with the recommendation to have your daughter sit in the chair to determine back height (One of our kids is 6'4", full grown, but, had to extend back height accordingly).

Additional suggestions some of our kids had that you may want to consider: cut out for a cup holder in the arm, dremel/router the name of the lucky kid in the chair for a personal touch.

Also, for visual relief, some chose to create 1 or 2 pieces for the front of the seating area that were up to 1/2"- 3/4" wider than the rest of the cross members/pieces used to create the seating area. These pieces would be the ones that slowly approach an almost perpindicular profile from the side.

For the chairs our kids make, a paper template got us started along with pre-cut chair pieces that we purchased fron a prison woodworking program....problem was each chair showed the artistic license of the creator (READ: we had to re-cut/drill parts in just about every chair we bought to make them fit). "GOOD" news it was a learning experience for our kids, we drew up new designs and cut template pieces that we now use. Of particular help, are the templates for the curved arms/feet as we're able to use our pin router to insure consistency and quality.

T

toolferone

I agree with you Dave on using 3/4" next time to lighten up the chair. I also like the drink holder idea. Now for my own idea. Any thoughts about making the back curved (I don't mean the top)I built one adirondack chair that had a curved back and it was very comfortable. Other then all that it looks great.:mrgreen:
Below are 2 pics of the chair I made, you can see what I mean about the curved back.

Attachments

• chair0001.jpg
    chair0001.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 250
  • chair0003.jpg
    chair0003.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 252
Last edited by a moderator:

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Dave,

I agree with Tom about curving the back, it adds to the comfort and looks. You could also make the back slats a little narrower and fan them out a bit.

M

McRabbet

Both Tom and Steve hit on my comment -- flare the boards in the back to a smooth curve at the crest and make the back support board with a 1-1/2" to 2" deep curve to provide a more comfortable back to the chair.

Rob

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Dave,
That prototype is a great way to check things out. It seems like I always rush to much when I get in the mood to build something.
The drink holder would definitely be a cool feature. I would suggest taking a little weight out of the bottom stretchers . They seem a little heavy looking. Maybe change up the curve a little? You might could test on your prototype piece.

Randy

New User
Randy
DaveO,

I think the chair looks great. I agree the fanned slats, curved back and some of the other "upgrades" would be nice. Just remember, it's a kids chair. You don't want to half-a$$ any project but a kid can sit Indian style on a floor for 2 hours-if you can get them to sit at all :) . The changes may go unappreciated on them but I'd definitely go for the upgrades and spend the extra time/effort with adult chairs. Just my $.02

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS