Kept my hands busy while recovering from Covid

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yeah, one of my co-workers decided to share....... Anyway, got Covid tested positive 8 days ago and then on Wednesday, negative. I have had vaccines and boosters so, pretty sure the vaccine contributed to the shorter duration of suffering. If getting Covid was a Yelp review ... 0 stars.

But, while feeling all sorry for myself and watching TV, I started to make a Hawaiian hook, after all, I live in Hawaii why not give it a go !

Made a paper template, then roughed it out with a coping saw, then Dremal and die grinder (M-12 tools), then files. For me working on something small like this, not easy.

Now I need to sand and finish, but interest is losing steam, since before Covid, I tore my bathroom apart to remodel and That! takes priority.

So, here is the rough finish of this thing, any suggestions on how to easily sand this out (quick would be nice too) is appreciated. This was about 1-1.5 hours of fiddle work.

Got to get this bath done this weekend go back to work Monday.

My co-worker is still in the Covid grips (almost 3 weeks), worrying about him.

Attachments

• Koa Hook (1).jpg
    Koa Hook (1).jpg
    903.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Koa Hook (2).jpg
    Koa Hook (2).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 79
  • Koa Hook (3).jpg
    Koa Hook (3).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
  • Koa Hook (4).jpg
    Koa Hook (4).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 75

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
So, here is the rough finish of this thing, any suggestions on how to easily sand this out (quick would be nice too) is appreciated. This was about 1-1.5 hours of fiddle work.
I made a few of these a few years ago. Unfortunately, I never found a quick and easy way to finish them.
Heres the only one I haven't given away. It's two-sided, maple and ebony. Sorry about the crummy photography.
IMG_0320.png
IMG_0321.png
IMG_0320.pngIMG_0321.png

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Glad you’re doing better! Stay busy.

Reactions: Oka

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Good to hear you're doing better.
Nice work. Pretty tight curves.
I have a set of very thin diamond files I use on small intricate work like that. Flat, half round, square and equilateral triangle.
No idea where I got them years ago - but something like that might work.

Reactions: Oka

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS