Keepsake boxes

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
Bob- Any more description on precat? Can't locate it on web site and the local store did use that term when I asked last week. They suggested a two part.
Thought I'd spray some drawers. any suggestions on tip size? 1.2 OK?
Thanks, Ed

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Bob, I revisited your post again...I find your work and the techniques you have developed to be very intriguing! While I have built a few "small" projects I have typically shied away from them largely because I haven't felt comfortable milling smaller components. Your post has inspired me to try and build some keepsake boxes for various members of my family...BUT I now realize that I need to spend more time thinking about and building jigs that can enhance the precision of my work as well as safety of my hands and fingers! Thank you for taking the time to show pictures of your work and your processes!

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
Bob, Not only are these amazingly crafted, I really like your pictorial showing the process with details. Thanks for taking your time to share.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Bob- Any more description on precat? Can't locate it on web site and the local store did use that term when I asked last week. They suggested a two part.
Thought I'd spray some drawers. any suggestions on tip size? 1.2 OK?
Thanks, Ed
Ed, I hate to admit it, but I ended up spraying this project with a touch-up gun I bought from Harbor Freight years back. I'll thin to work with whatever tip is on the gun. My favorite little DeVilbiss EGA was clogged up so badly that I couldn't use it. It is now cleaned after several hours of work.
The Sherwin-Williams T77 precat lacquer I used had to be purchased in a five gallon can. I got them to give me the catylist in a separate bottle so I could mix as needed (1.5 oz per gal.). It needed very little thinning.
Donn, like a lot of jigs we do, there was several hours of experimenting and just a few minutes of actual use. That's just the nature of the beast. I could have made more boxes with not a lot more cutting time, but the sanding, assembly, and finishing time is directly related to surface area.

To others, many thanks for the kind words. I hope the photo essay will prove inspiring. No two shops have the same facilities so many of the methods I used can be adapted to whatever is at hand.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS