Keeping Color

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nice Figures

New User
Sharon Barrett & Paula LaBelle
Owning the store gives us access to lots of great wood many displaying fantastic colors that fade over time (camphor burl, red mallee burl, and the more common purple heart, yellow heart, padauk) . Does anyone have any suggestions for finishing to keeping these colors vivid? We mostly turn but also do some flatwork.

Thanks, Paula

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I hope to see an answer on this one, as well. It is depressing to see a beautiful lavender pen turn a funky shade of brown.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Paula:

There are clear finishes that will prevent colored woods like purpleheart and padauk from fading. However UV rays from the sun will eventually win. You need to look on the labels of exterior finishes to make sure they have UV Blockers. These will minimze the effects of Ultra Violet rays. The products can be used for interior use as well as exterior. BTW the UV blockers are invisible so they should not change the color of the wood when applied. Hope this helps.

Doug

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
>> BTW the UV blockers are invisible so they should not change the color of the wood when applied.

Yes, but UV blockers are destroyed as they absorb the UV. In bright sunlight, about the best that can be expected from 3-4 brushed on coats of good, real exterior marine finish is 6-12 months. The finish will begin to turn cloudy telling you that it must be scuff sanded and then a couple of more coats applied.

A second factor affecting wood color is oxygen. Oxidation will change a wood's color even in an always closed closet.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Ladies: The best clear finish (does NOT alter the natural color of the wood) that we have used is General 450 Exterior. It is available in satin, semi gloss, etc. Woodcraft and Klingspor have it in quarts.

We like it for cedar and cypress to preserve the original color. We apply 3 coats usually, which can be sprayed, brushed, or wiped. Dries quickly, so usually all 3 coats can be applied the same day.

Hope this helps.

Nice Figures

New User
Sharon Barrett & Paula LaBelle
I'm sure we're experiencing both causes (UV and Oxidation), the camphor burl was bright red as I was turning it then before I got it off the lathe it was browning up. I was also wondering if heat build up from sanding could cause color changes in these woods.
I haven't used the General products, I'll take a look at them.

Paula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors