Keen kutter K4 klean up.

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
Got my yard sale find K4 cleaned up and ginally put back together. I am planning to do just a touch more polishing on the sole but its 90% to where I want it. Bought it thinking I would use it, now that I see it, it may be going on a shelf in my office.
I did want to get some advice maybe about bring back some luster to the tote and knob?? Wasn't sure how aggressive I should be but I want to keep it as close to original look as possible.

Attachments

• 20220804_190700.jpg
    20220804_190700.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
  • 20220804_190654.jpg
    20220804_190654.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 96

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
Paste wax on the wood, too. Buff off after it dries to a haze.
these K4s make outstanding users.

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I learned about the K planes from Charlie Buchanan, he has a couple...
I found a K5, cleaned it up and it took the working position in my cabinet.
I would wax the rosewood on that plane, it won't need more than that.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
That cleaned up nice. Beautiful plane. I've seen a few of these, but most of my experience is with Stanley's. Is this model a collector's item? Just curious why you were thinking of putting it on the shelf rather than using it.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Keen Kutters are uncommon planes. I have exactly one..... just don't see them that often. I do see the KK versions (Ohio Tool Company and others) on a more regular basis however. I don't know if it's the scarcity factor or it being a first version Bedrock that drives value but they bring a premium.

A quick search shows zero for sale on eBay.

Personally I don't think my K5 cuts any better than a comparable Bailey.... and it certainly doesn't top my beater Millers Falls that I reach for first.

That cleaned up nice. Beautiful plane. I've seen a few of these, but most of my experience is with Stanley's. Is this model a collector's item? Just curious why you were thinking of putting it on the shelf rather than using it.

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
I was super happy with how it cleaned up and it will look nice on a shelf, most of my others look well worn. Also I have a smoother I use already. These were made between 1910-1920 I think out of the Stanley Bedrock molds by stanley. They are fairly uncommon and this one is in incredible shape with hardly any wear whatsoever.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS