Keen kutter K4 klean up.

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
Got my yard sale find K4 cleaned up and ginally put back together. I am planning to do just a touch more polishing on the sole but its 90% to where I want it. Bought it thinking I would use it, now that I see it, it may be going on a shelf in my office.
I did want to get some advice maybe about bring back some luster to the tote and knob?? Wasn't sure how aggressive I should be but I want to keep it as close to original look as possible.

Attachments

• 20220804_190700.jpg
    20220804_190700.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 100
  • 20220804_190654.jpg
    20220804_190654.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 99

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
Paste wax on the wood, too. Buff off after it dries to a haze.
these K4s make outstanding users.

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I learned about the K planes from Charlie Buchanan, he has a couple...
I found a K5, cleaned it up and it took the working position in my cabinet.
I would wax the rosewood on that plane, it won't need more than that.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
That cleaned up nice. Beautiful plane. I've seen a few of these, but most of my experience is with Stanley's. Is this model a collector's item? Just curious why you were thinking of putting it on the shelf rather than using it.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Keen Kutters are uncommon planes. I have exactly one..... just don't see them that often. I do see the KK versions (Ohio Tool Company and others) on a more regular basis however. I don't know if it's the scarcity factor or it being a first version Bedrock that drives value but they bring a premium.

A quick search shows zero for sale on eBay.

Personally I don't think my K5 cuts any better than a comparable Bailey.... and it certainly doesn't top my beater Millers Falls that I reach for first.

That cleaned up nice. Beautiful plane. I've seen a few of these, but most of my experience is with Stanley's. Is this model a collector's item? Just curious why you were thinking of putting it on the shelf rather than using it.

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
I was super happy with how it cleaned up and it will look nice on a shelf, most of my others look well worn. Also I have a smoother I use already. These were made between 1910-1920 I think out of the Stanley Bedrock molds by stanley. They are fairly uncommon and this one is in incredible shape with hardly any wear whatsoever.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors