KD Lumber Run #2 QS Poplar / ERC *updated*

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

After close consideration Scott and I have decided to try QS Poplar and flat sawn eastern red cedar as our second KD lumber run. I was pleasantly surprised after QS’ing poplar for the first time to see its uniqueness and uniform straight grain pattern. Not to mention QS lumber does have it’s distinct advantages over flat sawn. It just takes big diameter logs to produce wide QS boards and there is considerably more waste. But I’m just about convinced when a log is large enough diameter, QS should be closely considered. I’ve searched the Internet and came up with zero hits for QS poplar, so I don’t think it’s all that commonly produced.

So our second KD lumber run will be:

1500 BF (total) of either:
* Random width 4/4 QS Poplar 8' long @ $2.70 a BF.
* Random width 5/4 QS Poplar 8' long @ $2.85 a BF.
* Random width 4/4 Eastern Red Cedar 8' long @ $2.80 a BF.
* Random width 5/4 Eastern Red Cedar 8' long @ $2.95 a BF.

This offer applies to NCWoodworker Members only, their friends and family. What you can expect to receive is freshly stabilized kiln dried to 6~8 % MC random width, rough cut QS Poplar and Eastern Red Cedar. Lumber will be ready to work as soon as you get it back to your shop. Depending on the logs the QS Poplar may have one live edge, since there is no real defined line between heart and sapwood. QS Poplar widths at the narrowest point will be no less than 4" and at the widest point no wider than 14". We’ll measure the narrowest width of the board after it has been kiln dried to calculate BF. By doing so, you will receive more wood than if I were to edge the boards myself.

We'll set a date on a Sunday after 1500 BF has been sold and the lumber has been kiln dried for a Harbor Freight Raleigh off Capital Blvd parking lot pickup.

If you have any comments or questions please post them here in this thread.

If your Interested in purchasing lumber from this run, please reply to this post, specify species (QS Poplar or ERC), 4/4 or 5/4 thickness and BF quantity. Please remember, standard sales tax of 6.75% will apply to NC residents.

* Bman (Barry) 50 BF 5/4 QS Poplar. Confirmed

05/04/07 added long overdue picture
05/13/07 added ERC

QS_Poplar.JPG

Thanks

bman

New User
barry
Re: KD Lumber Run #2 QS Poplar

yeah go ahead and put me down for 50bf 5\4 QS poplar do we have any idea when......this month or next ? depending on the time i may take another 50bf 4/4 QS poplar all about the cash flow

Last edited:
J

jeff...

yeah go ahead and put me down for 50bf 5\4 QS poplar do we have any idea when......this month or next ? depending on the time i may take another 50bf 4/4 QS poplar all about the cash flow

Will do Barry. May be a while this run seems to be moving mighty slow. I'm thinking about adding ERC to it also.

Thanks

Bob Laverty

New User
Bob

Hi, Bob Laverty here. New to the site, w/ part of the reason for signing on access to wood. I live in Pamlico Co. and have many projects large and small going on. A recent project quote from a local supplier was for 2000 BF S2S poplar w/ 1 SLR-- 4/4 - $2.80 BF 5/4-$3.70

As I am new here, how do these prices line up with local knowledge?

Is there any one in my area to join in with transport costs? I take it that would mean to Raliegh, am I correct?

Oh yeah, is there any local knowledge on a lo tech way of storing finish lumber in this high humidity area?

Bob

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio

don't know how those prices line up....

most of the time, for Jeff...'s lumber runs we meet with our private trucks at the Harbor Freight parking lot on Capital Boulevard in Raleigh.... But, he limits his trailer to about 1000 bf of fresh off the log lumber, may be able to carry more KD, or Scott may actually carry those KD loads from his place? He has a larger truck and trailer.

for KD storage, you could always bring it inside, tho I know that would 'bother' my wife some, yours may be of the same mindset, of course, 2000 bf would take up my entire living room, and some of the kitchen8-O

Bob Laverty

New User
Bob

For job related purchases, especially large quantities I could probably do a rental truck if no other rtansportation is available... and still have room for a few "goodies" to bring back home.

BTW, I haven't found a "wanted" forum yet. I'm looking for a Performax 1632 drum sander for my shop. Any out there or equivalent?

Bob

M

McRabbet

BTW, I haven't found a "wanted" forum yet. I'm looking for a Performax 1632 drum sander for my shop. Any out there or equivalent?

Bob
Bob,

You want to post your request in the Buy or Sell Tools Forum. Lots of members have tools they may want to sell and post them there; try Craig's List (know as CL around here) as well.

PS -- If you haven't done it already, please start a new thread in the Who We Are forum and introduce yourself to the membership!

J

jeff...

Bob, Welcome to NCwoodworker glad you have decided to join. My daughter and her husband live in Jacksonville and I drive there frequently. I would be more than happy to hump 1000 ~ 2000 bf of KD QS poplar to Oriental some weekend. I would just plan on making it a day, when I was going to Jacksonville to visit my Daughter and he Husband.

J

jeff...

Barry - I added your order to the first post of this thread. Timing depends when we have enough interest for 1500 BF. Since I received a few requests for KD ERC and Scott says we can do a Poplar / ERC mixed load in the kiln, I went ahead and added the ERC.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS