Kayak progress and set up for you other tool junkies

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I have started back on building the kayak. As I mentioned, I decided to make it out of Mahogany with Tiger Maple accents. I know it will be heavier than with the traditional Cedar; but if I am going to go through all that work, might as well make it a show piece. The stripping is 1/4 x 5/8 with a bead on one edge and a cove on the other. Interesting set up on the cove and bead so I thought I'd share with a picture. I had to place the power feeder out on the extension table and run it in reverse as the strips are so narrow and could not use it in the normal fashion. I also found that running the shaper in reverse (climbing cut) that I get a smoother cut and it actually helps pull the strips through to engage the power feeder. Makes very quick work of the edging process. From the looks of things, I might actually proceed with building the kayak in the not too distant future.

100_04252.JPG

View image in gallery

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Wow That is one nice looking machine!

Not sure how to use that... And Where are some of the pic's of the kayak?

Gary K

New User
Gary
Sounds like it is going to be beautiful. I also run my strips with a climb cut, the power feeder would probably make it a much more pleasant experience.
BTW are you going to the Georgetown, SC wooden boat show Oct. 17?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Took me a few minutes to understand your set up, but I am following it now. Are you using shaper cutters or router bits?

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I really am getting back to the kayak build this time. As I posted before, I moved the project to the side porch which is open but very damp. You guessed it, MILDEW. Today I blew it off, brushed it with bleach, shot it with 2 coats of pre-cat lacquer and moved it back in the shop to begin the stripping process. The edges are taped and the strips are ready. Hope to start on the hull in the morning.

Gary, You have made much better progress than I. As it stands now, I plan to go to the Georgetown Wooden Boat Show and hope to see you that weekend. We can most probably make some kind of deal on the cedar strips???

Travis, I opted to use 3" shaper cutters @ 10,000 rpm. Even though I can run the router spindle @ 20,000 rpm, I get a cleaner slicing cut with the larger diameter shaper cutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS