Kayak build part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary K

New User
Gary
This kayak is for my daughter, it is a Storm SLT, the plans came from www.oneoceankayaks.com. Luckily today I had the help of my daughter Michelle. Hopefully, we will find the time to finish her boat before she goes back to college in August.
31cab99f-0c11-4be5-b226-fb2747a15974.Large.jpg

We got started today by gluing the full size station plans to particle board with spray adhesive. Next step was to cut them out.
8917694c-58c4-4514-9808-d5c20f2a78a4.Large.jpg

After cutting close to the line with the band-saw, she sanded right up to the line with the oscillating belt sander.
7fed26f3-4f34-4673-9be3-e918200434ff.Large.jpg

The results of our efforts today, all station forms cut and sanded accurately to the lines. Precision here will pay dividends when the stripping process begins.
e6c08497-1dad-4d74-be1d-5b0a9c5491cf.Large.jpg

Next will be building the strongback, a straight plywood boxbeam that station forms are mounted on for the stripping process. Unfortunately, it is raining here and I don't want the plywood to get wet on the way home from Lowes. I will try to pick up a sheet on the way home from work tomorrow.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
That's looking like a good start!

How many hours/days/weeks/(in my case months) do you think it'll take?

T

toolferone

Great start, I am really looking forward to the WIP pics and notes. I want so bad to build a strip canoe someday. I am sure you are going to enjoy building this with/for your daughter, very cool!

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Great project - even greater that you can build it for your daughter and with your daughter.

Out of curiosity - Did you measure any dimensions on your paper plan before and after you sprayed them with adhesive? In other words, did the adhesive cause the paper to swell and alter the dimensions?

Ernie

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Gary; Thanks for all your good advice. I got in touch with Vaclav @ One Ocean Kayaks and wound up getting the Queen Ann Storm plans on his advice. I have been reading the book that came with the plans an am getting anxious to get started. I am now in the middle of two car projects and a patio project, so the kayak will just have to wait its turn.

Greybeard

New User
Pat
Gary, It looks like you are going to have a lot of fun building your project, with your daughter. As one who has been helped with several projects with my daughter, I can tell you that the experience was priceless! Good luck on the project and please post your WIP pics.

Pat

Gary K

New User
Gary
Ernie,
No I did not measure, but I used a non water based spray adhesive and I sprayed the particleboard.

Gary K

New User
Gary
Phillip,

The first one took about 200 hours, in my case over ten months. I started my kayak in late September got the hull stripped, sanded and fiberglassed before cold weather took over. Started back in April, and had her in the water by July 4th.
I don't know how it is for you, but working after work is terribly unproductive for me. By the time I switch gears to woodwork I am to tired to be efficient. Some nights I would only manage to get one or two strips fit and glued.

Gary K

New User
Gary
Ernie,

This time I used Duro it was the cheap stuff at HD. The last time I used 3M Super 77, when I went to buy more, the Duro was beside it at half the price. It seems to work just fine.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Thanks Gary - I'll try them both. I've had problems with spray adhesives swelling the paper enough to alter key dimensions. I haven't tried either of these - hopefully one or both of them will do what I need.

Cheers to you.

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS