Kapex having rough cut issues - any ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
I was cutting some hard maple on the kapex miter saw the other day, nothing crazy thick or out of the ordinary. I had a few pieces 16" long 3/4" thick and maybe 2 inches wide I had milled them flat and square. I was using a stop block and cutting down to 5" lengths. Using the stock blade, everything was going fine and then a block got caught and thrown back. Wasn't sure why that happened but figured it must not have been sitting flat or square against the fence. I started cutting again and noticed the saw felt to vibrate more than usual, not bad, just not super smooth, and the next cuts were pretty rough. I thought maybe I bent or chipped a tooth (even though visual inspection looked fine) and I had been meaning to buy the 80 tooth blade for most of what I do. So I got the 80 tooth blade and the cuts, although less tare-out and obviously cleaner, have small gouges. Can see and feel them. I've not seen this on any other saw, even cheap ones... so I'm wondering if something bad might be going on, or if there is an adjustment that might fix it up. I've had the saw less than a year I think, and don't do a whole lot on it.. so I was surprised/disappointed when this happened.

Any ideas of what the issue could be?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Since you changed blades it is not a loose blade nut which was my first suspicion. I'd call their customer support number and ask for help directly from them. At the prices they charge they should have excellent customer service. Let us know how it goes.

On the other hand, I've had some maple that was stressed and it would not stay straight once you started cutting it. I'd also try verifying that it is not the wood by cutting something else, even a different batch of maple. I wouldn't think the symptoms you describe would be the wood, but it never hurts to eliminate variables.

thsb

New User
Tim
I would put a straight edge on the fence and see what you get. I had the same problem and in talking to the customer service guys it isn't a completely isolated issue. Kind of a bummer but one of my tasks this week is to determine if my latest attempt to unbolt the fence and re-bolt it takes some tension out and returns it to straight.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Sounds like you knocked something out of alignment, I would go through all the setup procedures to see what is out and reset it.

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
Setup procedures? You mean these things aren't plug and play? Actually, I found out that if I lock the sliding mechanism the cuts are clean. It's something gone wrong/loose with the slide. I'll go through and make adjustments and see what happens. Festool told me to send it in. I think I'll wait to go that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS