kaleidoscopes

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpy

New User
Harry Goodwin
I have enjoyed pens and egg kaleidoscopes for a long while but the wife wants a longer larger one and she wants me to turn it rather than buy the finished product. Any help on a source for a longer scopes. Most seem to be for kids. Harry

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I have a friend who turns pens that made a connon model into a Kaleidoscope/
He scaled a model cannon and made the Kaleido scope from it.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I have enjoyed pens and egg kaleidoscopes for a long while but the wife wants a longer larger one and she wants me to turn it rather than buy the finished product. Any help on a source for a longer scopes. Most seem to be for kids. Harry

Harry,

I have been making wood kaliedoscope tubes for 15 years. I supply an artist in Spruce Pine with them. They are 9" long, 2" OD with 1 1/2" ID.

I can make them larger or smaller if need be.

PM if I can help.

Jerry

grumpy

New User
Harry Goodwin
I am interested in one about 8 or 9 inches long. How large must the i9nside diameter be? How much assembly of the scope is involved. Harry
252 321 7142

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I am interested in one about 8 or 9 inches long. How large must the i9nside diameter be? How much assembly of the scope is involved. Harry
252 321 7142

Harry--------I have not built any scopes from start to finish. I have only done the wood tubes. They are 2" diameter outside and 1 1/2" diameter inside. The eye piece is attached to the tube when I make it.

I can tell you what she (the scope artist) does. There are 3 pieces of glass cut in a circle, one piece is about 1" diameter, one is just under 1 1/2" diameter and one just under 1 5/8" diameter. and 3 pieces of 1st surface mirror and of course what ever medium you use to put in the chamber for the color. It also takes some clear silicone caulk for adhesive and packing peanuts to hold the mirrors in place.

The smallest piece of round glass is glued to the inside of the tube to cover the hole in the eye piece. Then the 3 pieces of mirror, taped together in a triangle, slide in down against the eye piece. They are wedged in place with foam peanuts. Then the 1 1/2" piece of glass is layed in on top the end of the mirrors and "caulked" around the edge. Place the medium on top of that piece of glass and put the 1 5/8" diameter piece of glass in the recess provided for it at the end of the tube. "caulk" around the edge of that glass to secure it in place. That closes the chamber and you are finished.:)

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS