Just wanted to share

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
So, I got an order for a customer jewelry box. I did one and just wanted to share it because I don't share my work enough here. I used the PC dovetail jig with the mini dovetail template for the outer box and miter joints for the tray and floating panel top. I did not add splines as the top and tray are glued to a solid surface. It is made primarily from African Paduak the center floating panel is made from soft maple and engraved with a laser engraver. I finished it with a rattle can lacquer. I modeled it closely to the humidors I build just much smaller.

Attachments

• 20201130_194235.jpg
    20201130_194235.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 223
  • 20201130_194246.jpg
    20201130_194246.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 225
  • 20201130_194308.jpg
    20201130_194308.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 221

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very nice, Tonika. Are you going to add a mirror inside the lid or something else?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great job. I agree with Raymond. A small mirror glued to the underside of the maple would be a very nice touch.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Nice Box Tonika. I'd be careful about adding mirrors, I made the mistake of adding a 1/4" mirror in one and the weight strains the hinges and almost tips the box over.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
It is too late now, but it made me think it would have been nice to "hide a secret" on the underside of the lid - like a nice saying or sentiment, maybe lasered in or a "pocket" where a card would fit...

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Nice! I did a very similar dovetailed box of padauk and Maple Here. Great minds... The padauk has since taken on deep brown tones that I like.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS