Just Plain STUPID - Lowes

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Went into local Lowes this afternoon to buy an exterior door lock (keyed entry.) Needed to get four extra keys, besides the two that comes with lock. Customer no service person told me first I had to buy lock, pay for it, then come back, and they would cut my keys, which would I have of go thru cashiers again. "Home Depot is right across the street" was my answer. Lowes is becoming HD's best advertising.

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
They didn’t want to get stuck making keys for an unpurchased lockset - kinda makers sense to me. It wasn’t yours - yet. Did HD do the deed as you wished?

Lowespro2

Nick
Senior User
They must have changed something, because when I bought my door handles and deadbolts there they rekeyed all the locks to be the same key and cut several extra keys for me before I purchased anything. They did stick an extra bar code on one of the deadbolts which the cashier scanned to charge me a rekey fee.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Went into local Lowes this afternoon to buy an exterior door lock (keyed entry.) Needed to get four extra keys, besides the two that comes with lock. Customer no service person told me first I had to buy lock, pay for it, then come back, and they would cut my keys, which would I have of go thru cashiers again. "Home Depot is right across the street" was my answer. Lowes is becoming HD's best advertising.
Lots of their stores have the self serve key machines now. Guess they are trying to get their employees to the lowest common denominator. No training required for the self serve machines and the vendor usually restocks the blanks.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
First, to get to original keys, you have to open blister pack. In Lowes, self service machine was down, plus it DOES NOT take a Lowes CC. Go figure? HD cut my keys before check out. Glad I went to HD, as they had a pallet of Jomax house wash (64oz size) for $0.25 a jug. Deal gets better, as it rings up for $0.01 ( a penny) a jug. Bought four jugs for a nickle, which includes sales tax.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Probably a local problem, and condemning all Lowe’s stores is probably not fair. I use my local Lowe’s regularly and they are great. I prefer them over HD. It’s probably the store manager. Bad service usually trickles from the top down...

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I miss the days before the orange box store abandoned ENC and their store was across the street from the blue box.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
First, to get to original keys, you have to open blister pack. In Lowes, self service machine was down, plus it DOES NOT take a Lowes CC. Go figure? HD cut my keys before check out. Glad I went to HD, as they had a pallet of Jomax house wash (64oz size) for $0.25 a jug. Deal gets better, as it rings up for $0.01 ( a penny) a jug. Bought four jugs for a nickle, which includes sales tax.
So they did you a favor and you scammed them back in return?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I buy kwikset locks that I can change myself. Pretty easy. I like HD better than Lowes too, however. In my town, from my house, HD is much easier and quicker to get to. Plus I like the more spartan appearance. The inside of Lowes is a little nicer and in my experience that appeals more to females. Just my opinion. But if Lowes were easier to get to I would probably go there first.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
So they did you a favor and you scammed them back in return?
First they didn't do me a favor, unless you call being business a favor. Somehow, I got the idea that businesses were there to serve the customer's needs, thus making a profit. On the house wash, not just NO, but HECK (Can't use the word of choice here) NO! Sign said $0.25. On box in black marker says "ring up at $0.01 each." Bought the last five bottles this morning.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Call me whatever you want, but something wasnt right about that.
I apologize for using wrong name. It was Barrs "Spray and Forget, not Jomax. I had just looked at Jomax, along with several other house washes. This is a product that HD doesn't stock (no HD sku number), but somehow a pallet got into local store. Cheaper to sell for a penny than to ship it back to manufacturer. Due to EPA rules, they couldn't pour it down the drain, or into trash. So for a penny a bottle they got rid of their problem. Cheap solution, IMHO.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
My experience with deals like this, if you are really going to use it soon.... awesome, but if you buy because it is a good deal, then you take on the sellers issues along with the "good deal"........... just depends on the circumstances. Remember, stores got it down, they really know how to trigger impulse buying.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Bruce, you did well...Spray and Forget is a great product for the elimination of mildew/algae/moss. It works slowly, so patience is needed.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I apologize for using wrong name. It was Barrs "Spray and Forget, not Jomax. I had just looked at Jomax, along with several other house washes. This is a product that HD doesn't stock (no HD sku number), but somehow a pallet got into local store. Cheaper to sell for a penny than to ship it back to manufacturer. Due to EPA rules, they couldn't pour it down the drain, or into trash. So for a penny a bottle they got rid of their problem. Cheap solution, IMHO.

I think they also do this when getting rid of a particular brand/product. It seems I always miss these good deals in tools, but sometimes stumble into them with random things like bolts/lags or storage bins.

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
Agree with Matt. It all comes from management, or lack thereof. The closest Lowes to me is in Sanford, but I regularly go to HD in Fuquay or the Lowes in Pittsboro. Both are much better stores, within a minute or two the same distance from me, and less than ten more than the Sanford store. A friend who lives just down the road works pretty much right behind the Sanford store and still drives to Pittsboro rather than put up with the poor conditions locally. Sad. I have also discovered a few none chain store sources for most of what I need with similar or lower prices and better quality.

Last edited:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
My guess is the employee just did not know how to streamline the process. Just last week I did the same, the employee gave me a slip for the lock and four keys. Took that to the cashier paid for all, then the hardware guy cut my keys and we where done in less than ten. Seemed pretty easy to me, sorry you had a different experience

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS