Just How Many Great Woodworkers are in NC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
I continue to be amazed by the wealth of talent NCWoodworker has exposed. And now I've discovered more award winning NC talent :mrgreen:

While perusing a Woodworking magazine in the library this morning I stumbled upon this, AWFS.

Is anyone familiar with these NC high school/vocational programs that produces such talented woodworkers?

Curiously,
Sapwood

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Wow, I am impressed, I saw a lot of NC at the top of that list. And some of that work is truely impressive. I sure wished I would have not have waited 15 years out of Highschool to start woodworking...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That is some impressive work and a great presence from NC. Many of those woodworkers were quite pretty:oops: I wish that I had shop classes like that back in my HS days along with some of those pretty students:evil: The only girls who took shop were tougher than the guys:lol: :lol:

Dave:)

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Awesome stuff!!! I wish I could turn out stuff that good. Where the heck is Cedar Ridge HS??:eusa_danc

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Apparantly it is in Hillsborough, NC. Whoever is leading that program is really developing some serious talent. Maybe we can recruit them as a member to help bring us up to speed :BangHead:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
I attended the the AWFS event in Vegas last July and was amazed to see the amount of entries from NC, especially the ones from Cedar Ridge HS. All of the items were on display in one area and they were all truly impressive to see. I believe NC had the most entries of any other state. Very impressive work from some fine young craftsmen........and yes, craftswomen too.:icon_thum

This is the first year the AWFS has been held in Vegas. Before, it used to rotate each year between Anaheim, CA and Atlanta GA. The AWFS is a hugh event and was well worth the visit if you get the chance to attend. It took me two full days to get through all of the displays and vendors. I am hoping to attend this year if it comes to Atlanta. In 2004 it filled the GA Dome and two or three adjacent buildings. Of course when displaying woodworking machines as big as a house you need that much space. This show is definitely well suited for those folks suffering from the most serious cases of the Wood Guy Disease. I didn't do too bad......it only cost me $10 to register and get in............and about $750 to get out.:lol:

D L

Charles M

New User
Charles
D L Ames said:
I attended the the AWFS event in Vegas last July and was amazed to see the amount of entries from NC, especially the ones from Cedar Ridge HS. All of the items were on display in one area and they were all truly impressive to see. I believe NC had the most entries of any other state. Very impressive work from some fine young craftsmen........and yes, craftswomen too.:icon_thum

This is the first year the AWFS has been held in Vegas. Before, it used to rotate each year between Anaheim, CA and Atlanta GA. The AWFS is a hugh event and was well worth the visit if you get the chance to attend. It took me two full days to get through all of the displays and vendors. I am hoping to attend this year if it comes to Atlanta. In 2004 it filled the GA Dome and two or three adjacent buildings. Of course when displaying woodworking machines as big as a house you need that much space. This show is definitely well suited for those folks suffering from the most serious cases of the Wood Guy Disease. I didn't do too bad......it only cost me $10 to register and get in............and about $750 to get out.:lol:

D L

D L,

The west coast show is the AWFS and it used to be held in Ontario, CA but moved to Las Vegas this year. It is held every other year. The IWF is held on alternate years from the AWFS so it will be next year in Atlanta.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Charles M said:
D L,

The west coast show is the AWFS and it used to be held in Ontario, CA but moved to Las Vegas this year. It is held every other year. The IWF is held on alternate years from the AWFS so it will be next year in Atlanta.

Hmmmm:eusa_thin .........I could have swore the one on Atlanta was also called AWFS. I guess Atlanta hosts the International show. I have heard the one in Atlanta is much bigger than the West Coast show which is hard to imagine after seeing how much floor space the shows at Anaheim and Vegas took up. In 2003 I attended the the AWFS show and it was in the Anaheim convention center next to Disneyland.

D L

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mavawreck07 said:
Maybe it is just me being a young man, but there sure where an awful lot of pretty girls.

Of course, they are :roll:

They're Carolina girls :mrgreen:

Sapwood

cskipper

Cathy
Does anyone think that the HS would appreciate knowing how impressed we are with their student's work? Is there a way, as a group, that we could convey this? Maybe go on a road trip and have them bring their pieces in for us to admire? Or probably, just correspondence would suffice. We could also invite the instructor and students to join this group. These kids must already have a lot of confidence, but maybe they would like to hear it from local folks. Of course, maybe I'm just waaaay off base.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I had thought of sending an email to their instructor(s), at least inviting them to see this thread....

Mavawreck07

New User
Andrew
cskipper, I dont think you are offbase at all. I am a little bit ashamed of how much better their work appears to anything I could produce. :eusa_shhh

Last edited:

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I sent the principal an email....
------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Thornburg,

My name is Clay Lowman, and I am a member of a local woodworking
website for North Carolina residences. One of our members posted a link
to the AWFS show in Las Vagas for the year of 2005. We were quite
impressed to see that many of the winners were from Cedar Ridge High
School in North Carolina. The purpose of this email is to inquire,
first and foremost, if I have the correct Cedar Ridge High School.

If so, we would like to pass along our congragulations, and extend an
inviation to your woodworking instructor to visit our web site. The
work that the students entered into the show is quite stunning. The
instructor, as well as the students, should be proud.

Our website is located at: http://ncwoodworker.net

Thank you for your time
Clay Lowman
---------------------------------------------------

and received this reply.......

-------------------------------------------
Yes sir. You have the correct school and we are very proud of our
students and instructor, Mr. Keith Yow. I will forward your
congratulations and website information to Mr. Yow. Thank you.

Gary Thornburg

sapwood

New User
Roger
Clay,

Well conceived and executed email :eusa_clap

I checked out the school website and discovered a little more info. Apparently Mr Yow was Cedar Ridge's Teacher of the Year! Here's a link of an article prepared just before they attended the show. Also their August newsletter (PDF) contains additional pixs and info on page 9. Apparently these folks dominated the show and and according to Yow this was a "rebuilding" year of freshmen and sophomores :roll:

Sapwood

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
I received an email from the AWFS Fair this morning on a last chance offer to order a copy of the book Fresh Wood Vol #2 which showcases all of the students work that they entered at the AWFS Fair design contest.

Here is a review and link for the book if anyone is interested.

D L

Fresh Wood vol.2 -- a stunning book featuring the 58 award-winning furniture projects from high school and college students at AWFS®Fair 2005 Student Design Contest.

Enjoy the creative designs and intricate craftsmanship that inspired thousands at this year’s AWFS®Fair.

A beautiful hard-cover photographic art book, Fresh Wood Volume 2 has over 240 photos revealing intricate joinery, hidden details and eloquent figures in wood.

Students’ comments provide insight on the design challenges and innovative techniques, while the serene beauty of the Las Vegas desert provides a stunning backdrop for the new designs.

Order by December 31 for Pre-Publication Discount.

Discount Price: $35.00
(Regular price $45.00)

Order online at www.freshwood2005.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS