Just asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
The only thing certain is that there is a lot of uncertainty in the online marketplace. Heck, I offered a seller $500 on a $650 listing here a couple weeks ago and didn't even get a "No way, Jose."

On this same thought, I have an 18 bottle wine fridge in my living room that I listed on CL for $40 and then $30. Someone offered me $25 but then didn't show up. As Ken says, "Maybe some stuff has no resale value."

PS - If any of you guys/gals wants this working wine bottle fridge. It's available! I won't go lower than $0.00. :)

DaveD

New User
Dave
I'm a lot like jazzflute.

I've been buying/selling off/on on Craigslist since they first started out. For me its (buying/selling used stuff) a psychological mind game, combined with what you are buying/selling, price, time of year, and being at the right place at the right time.

If you are a buyer you need a stash of mad money to be able to take advantage of a killer deal within 5 minutes of seeing it. If you are buying, and its a killer deal, and you think about it or wait till the weekend it's going to be gone.

Anything that retails for less than $100 I'll buy new unless I happen to see it used for 20 cents on the dollar. Hand power tools I buy reconditioned from a CPO outlet. Name brand high dollar items I might pay up to 70% list price if hardly used and in great condition.

i've been known to buy two of the same thing within a week just because the deal was 'too good to pass up'. I've given away $20 items to someone just because they didn't argue about the $20 and the 'vibes' they gave off were just right.

If you are selling something I want to deal with a person that can close the deal when I first show up. Not your wife/kid that can just show me the item. My buying price goes down significantly if that happens. If the item is buried back behind a bunch of other junk the price I'm willing to pay just went significantly down too.

Late fall and early spring are poor times to sell and good times to buy. Xmas and tax time get in the way. Money's tight. Sellers probably need money and buyers know it. As a seller I despise buyers that show up only for them to be wishy washy and say they first need to see if they can borrow a truck or if the wife will say ok. You are going to have to beg me to sell it to you later.

i typically don't combine stuff in my ad. If I'm advertising shaper cutters you probably won't know that I'll have the spindles up for sale later. My experience says combining things will get the seller less money. It may or may not be an advantage to the buyer.

Another post is discussing some tools on a Winston Salem Craigslist ad. I might give him $500 for the whole pile if I was in need of most of those items. His asking price is way too high.

Having said all that, there are exceptions. Milling machines and bigger metal lathes come to mind. Seems the more tooling that comes with them the easier they are to sell and the higher dollar, relatively speaking, they go for.

Bapakleo

New User
Leo
Over the past year I've listed several pieces of used equipment on the NCWW site with not so much as a single response, even if the ad stated "or best offer". My experience may be unrepresentative as I do live on the fringe of the membership base (Virginia) and perhaps my asking price was too high or the items too unique or obsolete (or all three!). On several listings I even offered to deliver the item to the Raleigh area at no cost as I frequently visit family in the RDU area.

I recently removed 2 ads after several weeks of posting on NCWW for a Makita planer/jointer and Performax sander and reposted on Sawmill Creek as an experiment. The first day the "ads" were posted on SC I got 2 reply's posted to my ad from former or current users of the Makita planer who made comments on the merits of the Makita 2030 and one even mentioned that it was very fairly priced. Bottom line result for the planer was the same, no sale after 30 days with 2 or 3 "bumps". The ad for the sander on Sawmill Creek generated a buyer for the infeed/outfeed table extensions and the sander eventually sold on Craigs List a few days later. The "fair price" obviously will differ between a buyer & seller but I will indicate on future ads to state whether the price is firm or negotiable. (I'm not a dealer, just a hobbyist who is trying to make some room in my shop). As a seller, I would personally rather get a telephone or PM inquiry about the possibility of better price than to have missed a sales opportunity altogether, especially when the potential buyer may be facing several of hours of driving to view & or purchase a piece of woodworking equipment. This posting is in no way a complaint, just some feedback comparing my experience with identical items marketed "locally" on WCWW vs. more nationwide on Sawmill Creek.

Leo in Hertford who stated this post - ironically one of my WCWW ads was for a Parks 12" planer that I was trying to sell for my late father-in-law's estate in Perquimans County which for years was in operation in the Perquimans County High School in Hertford! Not a single inquiry about the planer was received. I think it has been given to a former PCHS student that my father-in-law taught Industrial Arts.

Don, thanks for your insight. I particularly appreciated you giving us a "feel" for your experiences instead of minor sound bites. Not to take away from your comments, or anyone else's, but my original question was intended to simply ask if anyone had paid more than 50% of retail for something from our classifieds because I continued to see so much advertised for more and apparently not selling. Of the few items I've personally asked about I was treated to the seller giving me, instead of a polite "no" to my offer, .......... well, you get the idea.

Rick M

New User
Rick
I've bought one thing off the classifieds here and paid close to 100% of retail cost; but that was retail in 1958. :rolf:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
So, what is a Leigh dovetail jig worth? I offered at less than 50% then lowered the price and no bites.

i'm ready to sell or trade...

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
So, what is a Leigh dovetail jig worth? I offered at less than 50% then lowered the price and no bites.

i'm ready to sell or trade...

Which model? Does it come with the original accessories and manual? Any extra's like router bits or dust collection accessories?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
D1258 R24

just the jig no extras.

Leigh has 3 older models the D1258R-24 being one of them. They can be upgraded to the latest model by:

- Leigh Cam-Action Speed-Clamps .... $35.00
- D4 Side Stops and Scales ............. $23.00 & $40.00

Additionally,

- Leigh User Guide ......................... $12.00
- D4 Dovetail Jig Instructional Video .. $20.00

Some regular mail order catalogs such as Highland Hardware, Lee Valley Tools and Woodcraft Supply carry the Leigh line but this being something special, I would think that going to the manufacture would be the way to go. They are at 1-800-663-8932.

A real good article on the Leigh Jig, particularly the D1258R-24 can be found at: http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/leigh.htm

https://www.leighjigs.com/support.php

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
D1258 R24

just the jig no extras.

Leigh has 3 older models the D1258R-24 being one of them. They can be upgraded to the latest model by:

- Leigh Cam-Action Speed-Clamps .... $35.00
- D4 Side Stops and Scales ............. $23.00 & $40.00

Additionally,

- Leigh User Guide ......................... $12.00
- D4 Dovetail Jig Instructional Video .. $20.00

Some regular mail order catalogs such as Highland Hardware, Lee Valley Tools and Woodcraft Supply carry the Leigh line but this being something special, I would think that going to the manufacture would be the way to go. They are at 1-800-663-8932.

A real good article on the Leigh Jig, particularly the D1258R-24 can be found at: http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/leigh.htm

https://www.leighjigs.com/support.php

New jig is $580. Using the 50% rule of thumb, that brings the price to $290. Subtracting out the cost of extras to make your jig equivalent to a new model gives $290-35-23-40-12-20= $160. A quick eBay search of completed listings shows two of these jigs that sold for $175. If you don't have luck selling it here, you might try eBay...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS