Just a thought - Resurrect New Member Chat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

old-delta

Wes
Senior User
I joined just over two weeks ago and love the site. This is just a thought I wanted to toss out to fellow
members; To get to know fellow members and share a few ideas on the subject. What is the thought of
having a weekly or monthly chat meet? It would give those who can't get to the meets and regular functions
due to work and distance. I have seen lots of talent and good people and it would be good to listen to their
knowledge. I know I could learn a lot from the pros and novices. If someone has a idea along these lines, let us know.
Wes:saw:

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Re: Just a thought

We used to have a Thursday night chat that was originally set up as a way for new members to introduce themselves. Unfortunately, the interest level in that slowly faded away.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan

We used to have a Thursday night chat that was originally set up as a way for new members to introduce themselves. Unfortunately, the interest level in that slowly faded away.

However, if there is sufficient renewed interest it can easily be resurrected.

I would love to hear feedback on this topic from members both new and old.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

If the new member chat was re-started, i would definitely try to make an appearance as often as I could.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That's great that there is renewed interest in a new member chat. :D I was pretty involved in starting it initially, but of course, a new job ended up pulling the plug for me. :dontknow: Personally, I can't commit to it as I am usually traveling on Thursdays. Perhaps there are some other members with a little more free time that would be interested?

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Wes,

I don't mean to hijack your post.

Awhile back, I had a complimentary idea (not a competing once) and I sent it to some members of the BOD as well as others. The idea was thinking that we could have a featured chat of the month (maybe the second Thursday of each month). The first year or so, the concentration could be on the well-known people in the woodworking field (Brain Boggs, Greg Paolini, Bob Vaughan, Bill Anderson, etc.) and let everyone ask questions. Some of these people are members of NCWW already. They could promote their events, but it would allow NCWW to focus on being able to ask well-known people questions. A week or so in advance, their bio could be sent out announcing the time and place. The second year or so, could be focused on members of NCWW who are doing creative woodworking (Ernie in Little Washington make harpsichords, Alan in Little Washington or Joe Scharle making jigs, Charlie or erasmussen on segmented turnings, FredP Making things quickly, Stave on carving, Sully on restoring old tools, etc.). The third year or so, the focus could be on the basics (Ethan Poole troubleshooting electric tools, Howard Acheson on finishing, Mike Davis on tuning a hand plane, Scott Smith drying wood, Scott Miller on the basics of scroll sawing, BobbyG on the basics of working with veneer, etc.). These lists were not meant to be complete, just people that I have seen make detail posts on various subjects.

I have not pursued this idea any further because I have not been able to figure out if guests can participate in chat sessions and family obligations have gotten in the way.

If people think this is a good idea, we could move this to another thread and maybe the work could be divided among several members.

Steve

old-delta

Wes
Senior User
Steve,
I think that is and was a great idea. There are so many people in the industry that have so much knowledge and would be a wealth
to us who are just learning. I joined OWWM a few weeks back and have already learned much in that short period. I had the idea while
emailing different ones here with various questions. It could be like a workshop of sorts without leaving home. Maybe the idea will rekindle.
I will make myself available to assist in any way I can. Wes

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
First, to Trent's comments, keep in mind that there is not rule that "New Member Chats" be held on Thursdays (other than tradition). If we resurrect this we can pretty much pick any day of the week (or month) and time of day, we just need to commit to a specific day and time so as to avoid confusion.

To Steve's comments, "guests" per se cannot join in chats as you must be a member of NCWW to participate. However, we could create a special group for such guests and issue complimentary registrations to non-members on a case-by-case basis for such chats. It is a bit of administrative work so it is not something we would want to do with great regularity, but the odd case for a non-member every month or two is not objectionable. For guests that are already members, there is really nothing to be done. *Any* member (other than, perhaps, "newbies" -- I'm not sure what their permissions are at the moment -- may start a chat at any time, just click the "Chat" button on the menu (or the link in the "Who's Chatting" sidebar widget).

Steve (Coles) and I are more than willing to do our best to cater to those wishing to establish regular chat events -- we would both like to see the Chat feature more heavily utilized than it presently is (we've certainly invested enough effort in setting it up!). All we need to see is sincere interest and some established members willing to commit to taking on the duties for us to support such.

Rob

New User
Rob
A couple of us early risers usually get on it Sunday mornings. Used to be more but now only 2 or 3 of us.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Steve and I are looking at a few things. Let us finish that and one or another of us will get back to you all, here in this thread

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
A couple of us early risers usually get on it Sunday mornings. Used to be more but now only 2 or 3 of us.

what time is early? I may join in. I am usually up before 5...... sometimes 4ish:)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Too Early, usually 7 or 8 AM

I may be able to do 7 or 8. my neighbors would prefer me chatting rather than planing that early on sunday......:gar-Bi but lots of folks don't get up that early on sundays. :dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors